You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

laptop user icon controls apple id photo

i want to change my user icon on my laptop, but it also changes my apple id icon. is there a way to Not have it do that? i keep my contact card nice and relatively professional looking, for ease of sharing. i want to be able to put whatever stupid pic i want as my computer icon without it affecting my card. i hear that other people dont want to bother changing them separate but that is most certainly not my view. to satisfy both, i would like a toggle to choose whether the photo is linked or not.

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Aug 19, 2023 7:19 PM

1 reply

Aug 20, 2023 2:31 PM in response to castielfromchicago

Hi castielfromchicago,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities. We understand you'd like to have a different Mac login user picture than your Apple ID picture. This doesn't appear to be possible, as these articles explain that if you change one it will change the other:

Select your Apple ID picture on Mac

"Your Apple ID picture is also displayed as your user login picture on your Mac and as the picture for your My Card in Contacts."

Change a user’s login picture on Mac

"Your user login picture is also displayed as your Apple ID picture and as your My Card in Contacts."

We hope this helps.

Take care.

laptop user icon controls apple id photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.