Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Unable to remove/reset Screen Time on child's iPad Pro

I forgot the screen time on my child's iPad Pro 12.9" (2018 Model) and have literally exhausted all combinations. At this point I have to wait 60 minutes for each attempt.

The problem is that for some reason the iPad doesn't even accept the iCloud username and password even though it accepts the same for everything else. I can reset the iCloud password and that will work 2-3 times but even with a correct Password I am not able to remove/reset the Screen Time.

I have the option to restore the iPad using my Computer but that will also erase all the accounts and date of my child who is adamant that the data be preserved even if it means that the screen time is not removed/reset. My child now needs the iPad for studies which goes past the screen time of 8:00PM.

The reason to post this here is that there has to be a possible way to get this done and not having to pay a 3rd party to get the screen time removed without restoring the iPad to factory reset state and removing everything.

Can someone please advise if they have been able to find a solution. Thanks.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Aug 20, 2023 2:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2023 2:25 AM

If you have forgotten the ScreenTime passcode, the procedures outlined within this link should resolve the problem:

If you forgot your Screen Time passcode - Apple Support

If your iPad is capable of supporting iPadOS 13.x or later, you should update to the most current version before attempting to resolve a forgotten ScreenTime passcode. The most recent iPadOS updates have introduced a mechanism whereby a forgotten ScreenTime passcode can be reset, using an AppleID, without wiping the iPad.

To reset a forgotten ScreenTime passcode on older versions of iOS/iPadOS, the iPad must be complete reset “as new”, losing all locally stored data:

Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content & Settings

In this situation, you’ll not be able to restore your data from an iCloud or iTunes backup - as the forgotten passcode is integral to the backup.

Be aware that the ScreenTime Passcode reset may be associated with a completely different AppleID account…

By design, when activating/setting the ScreenTime Passcode, you can use any valid AppleID credentials - and only this credential can be used to reset a forgotten ScreenTime Password. As such, by example, a parent may choose to use their own (or other parents) AppleID - which may differ from that used, by the device, for iCloud services.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2023 2:25 AM in response to Ashar_Hameed

If you have forgotten the ScreenTime passcode, the procedures outlined within this link should resolve the problem:

If you forgot your Screen Time passcode - Apple Support

If your iPad is capable of supporting iPadOS 13.x or later, you should update to the most current version before attempting to resolve a forgotten ScreenTime passcode. The most recent iPadOS updates have introduced a mechanism whereby a forgotten ScreenTime passcode can be reset, using an AppleID, without wiping the iPad.

To reset a forgotten ScreenTime passcode on older versions of iOS/iPadOS, the iPad must be complete reset “as new”, losing all locally stored data:

Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content & Settings

In this situation, you’ll not be able to restore your data from an iCloud or iTunes backup - as the forgotten passcode is integral to the backup.

Be aware that the ScreenTime Passcode reset may be associated with a completely different AppleID account…

By design, when activating/setting the ScreenTime Passcode, you can use any valid AppleID credentials - and only this credential can be used to reset a forgotten ScreenTime Password. As such, by example, a parent may choose to use their own (or other parents) AppleID - which may differ from that used, by the device, for iCloud services.

Unable to remove/reset Screen Time on child's iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.