Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Drive - Data not getting downloaded

Hi all,

For the last several days, I have been trying to create a copy of all my work data on the iCloud Drive for transferring to my colleague. It was then that I realised the extent to which iCloud is restrictive as a storage service as compared to Google or Microsoft. One major handicap in iCloud is its restriction on the downloading of folders. One can only download individual (or groups of) files from the browser version. Since my data involves several folders, each having hundreds of files in them (not to mention folders within folders), downloading from the browser version of iCloud is practically impossible for me. After browsing the web, I also tried every other method possible for achieving my objective, for example, compressing the folders into single files using my iPhone, but found it to be a painfully slow process which often returns a failure message. Even direct download of the data by shifting it to an external hard drive from my Macbook takes forever (and freezes often), even for internet speeds as high as 500 MBPS.

Therefore, as a last resort, I sent a request to Apple from privacy.apple.com for a copy of my data in iCloud Drive. On their privacy website and in their acknowledgement email, Apple made a commitment to share a copy of the data within 7 days. However, its been more than 15 days since my request, and I have not received any update from Apple on this matter. The privacy website does not provide any customer support details. I managed to reach a Support number embedded deep within one of the Apple websites and have been conversing with them for the last week or so. After a few hours of back and forth calltime, the support team is claiming that they have limited control on the timeline for such requests. In other words, they have simply raised their hands. Please note that I still don't have any official communication from Apple.

Meanwhile, the status of my request is still showing as 'In Progress' on the Apple privacy website. I don't know what to do anymore. It seems that Apple is withholding my own data from me.

I would greatly appreciate it if the members of this forum suggest a definitive solution to my problem based on their experience with iCloud Drive.

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air, macOS 13.3

Posted on Aug 20, 2023 3:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2023 4:11 AM

open system preferences > iCloud and uncheck the box of iCloud Drive a pop up window appears , showing to keep a copy of documents , and remove from the Mac .

( a ) if you had clicked on keep a copy , they will be archived in home folder that can be viewed by clicking on finder in the dock , take cursor on top menu bar > Go > Home > your user name > iCloud Drive ( Archive ) .

Again check the box of iCloud Drive , in finder > iCloud section > document there are several folders and subfolders ( in which thousands of files you have saved ) .

The files can be selected from sub folders and copied and pasted in finder > iCloud > documents Mac keyboard shortcuts - Apple Support .

All files are mainly saved in primary folder , may there are subfolders inside them , when desktops and documents box is checked each and every file gets saved in iCloud ( the subfolders should not be locked , and read and write permissions should be correct ) If you need permission to open an item on Mac - Apple Support

Change permissions for files, folders or disks on Mac - Apple Support

If you don’t have permission to use files on a Mac disk - Apple Support

Some conditions are to be met you should not exceed iCloud designated space , the files should not have added .noextensions and the extension name should not be changed Show or hide filename extensions on Mac - Apple Support and must not be corrupted If you can’t download an item from the web using Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Download items from the web using Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2023 4:11 AM in response to ravivargamer

open system preferences > iCloud and uncheck the box of iCloud Drive a pop up window appears , showing to keep a copy of documents , and remove from the Mac .

( a ) if you had clicked on keep a copy , they will be archived in home folder that can be viewed by clicking on finder in the dock , take cursor on top menu bar > Go > Home > your user name > iCloud Drive ( Archive ) .

Again check the box of iCloud Drive , in finder > iCloud section > document there are several folders and subfolders ( in which thousands of files you have saved ) .

The files can be selected from sub folders and copied and pasted in finder > iCloud > documents Mac keyboard shortcuts - Apple Support .

All files are mainly saved in primary folder , may there are subfolders inside them , when desktops and documents box is checked each and every file gets saved in iCloud ( the subfolders should not be locked , and read and write permissions should be correct ) If you need permission to open an item on Mac - Apple Support

Change permissions for files, folders or disks on Mac - Apple Support

If you don’t have permission to use files on a Mac disk - Apple Support

Some conditions are to be met you should not exceed iCloud designated space , the files should not have added .noextensions and the extension name should not be changed Show or hide filename extensions on Mac - Apple Support and must not be corrupted If you can’t download an item from the web using Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Download items from the web using Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Aug 20, 2023 6:18 AM in response to ravivargamer

If somebody has shared a folder ( with files inside them ) , and given no access you will never open the file and they will never sync Share files and folders in iCloud Drive on iCloud.com - Apple Support

Regarding , the archived folder and its files , when you click on turn on, if there are thousands of files tha bar will move left and right , those files will be archived for hours , suppose you turn it off in between many files will not sync as the process was still in continuation .

Feb 25, 2024 6:08 AM in response to ravivargamer

Apple does NOT want to support this capability. Period. I've tested it and experienced the same eternal no-info we-do-not-really-care result as everyone else who has submitted a complaint, either here on the Community or elsewhere on the Web. The fact that one must log in each and every time to the Community for each and every thread indicates that Apple either has not thought support through or doesn't care, or both. CONCLUSION: Stick with Google.

iCloud Drive - Data not getting downloaded

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.