Folder with question mark

My MacBook Air recently stopped accepting my password although it was correct. It wouldn’t allow me to reset my password & nothing else worked so I tried to factory reset the MacBook. Now it is showing a blinking folder with a question mark and won’t allow me to re-install the new Mac operating systems.

MacBook Air (2018 – 2020)

Posted on Aug 20, 2023 6:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2023 6:56 AM

Read what to do if your Mac starts up to a question mark. Click here --> If your Mac starts up to a question mark - Apple Support

- If you still need help, please contact Apple Support ( https://getsupport.apple.com/?caller=kbase&PFC=PFC1003&category_id=SC0054&symptom_id=20225 ).

A folder with a flashing question mark means that your startup disk is no longer available or doesn't contain a working Mac operating system.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2023 6:56 AM in response to ty2578

Read what to do if your Mac starts up to a question mark. Click here --> If your Mac starts up to a question mark - Apple Support

- If you still need help, please contact Apple Support ( https://getsupport.apple.com/?caller=kbase&PFC=PFC1003&category_id=SC0054&symptom_id=20225 ).

A folder with a flashing question mark means that your startup disk is no longer available or doesn't contain a working Mac operating system.

Aug 21, 2023 11:59 AM in response to ty2578

Take it into Apple for them to check.

Go to this page to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Apple Authorized Distributor (AAD) --> Find Locations

How to make a Genius Bar appointment

1. Go to Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

2. Go to "Get hardware help".

3. Select your hardware and continue selecting options requiring replacing parts until you see "Bring in for Repair"

4. Sign in with your Apple ID

Folder with question mark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.