Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Windows on Mac 15'

Hi. I just bought my new Mac and I really like it but my uni doesn't allow Mac and asks to download windows on bootcamp. But my Mac doesn't have bootcamp for its M2 chip and I don't know what to do. Do I have to get rid of the new Mac I like to get a laptop that supports windows. Please help

Posted on Aug 20, 2023 8:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2023 8:45 AM

FWIW, I have an Asus laptop and it won't even support Windows 11. So far, I haven't had any Windows app that won't work in my Windows 11 guest. Plus, if the university suggested Bootcamp, one would think there wouldn't be compatibility issues.

10 replies

Aug 20, 2023 8:41 AM in response to gorazd55

gorazd55 wrote:

Hi. I just bought my new Mac and I really like it but my uni doesn't allow Mac and asks to download windows on bootcamp. But my Mac doesn't have bootcamp for its M2 chip and I don't know what to do. Do I have to get rid of the new Mac I like to get a laptop that supports windows. Please help

Bootcamp is not supported on the silicon Macs. You could try using a virtual machine and a version of Windows that run on the silicon Macs. But if it were me attending university and they specified Windows for my course work I would return my Mac and get a Windows computer. You need to be 100% compatible with your course of study requirements, other students for group/team projects, and with your professors for assignments.

Aug 20, 2023 8:52 AM in response to gorazd55

gorazd55 wrote:

Hey thank you for the response. If you have time can I ask you, if I install Parallels will I be able to use all of the windows settings for my uni for they ask for too much stuff. Also will that damage the Mac and can I use them both on my Mac 15' 8GB Memory. Is the memory enough to instal windows and use it effectively?

You're welcome. The reality is without knowing everything required there's no way to know. For that matter there's no way to know if everything will run on the Windows PC that you purchase.

Running a VM won't harm the Mac.

Aug 20, 2023 8:53 AM in response to gorazd55

gorazd55 wrote:

Thanks for the response but if I use Mac will that be a problem for my professors and other students laptops

Dialabrain summed it up with respect to the university suggesting the use of bootcamp which implies Windows would not be a problem.

But you also said in your original post that the university "does not allow Macs". So this indicates to me that your Mac will not be supported if there is any issue with networking, file sharing, assignments, projects, labs, software, hardware, etc.

Aug 20, 2023 9:13 AM in response to gorazd55

Just to add, many of your questions are too speculative to answer. For example, I don't know if you purchased a Windows PC with 8GB would be enough for the software you may need to run. You might need 16GBs or 32GBs, etc.

You didn't mention the size of the SSD you bought and there's no way to know for certain if that is large enough either.

Windows on Mac 15'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.