Changed Username now can't use login info

I just got my new computer a few days ago and I didn't realize I was making a username when I did. I figured out how to change the username and as soon as I did it will not let me use it. I have to use the old username to log into the computer, but if it asks for an admin password for anything it will not take my new username or my old username. I am stuck.

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Aug 20, 2023 12:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2023 1:22 PM

1. Login with Old Username:

• First, if you’re able to log into the computer using the old username, do that.

2. Access User & Groups:

• Go to the Apple menu () in the top-left corner.

• Select System Preferences.

• Click on Users & Groups.

3. Unlock Settings:

• At the bottom left of the “Users & Groups” window, there’s a lock icon. Click it.

• You might be prompted for an admin password. If you remember setting one up, use it. If you didn’t set one, just try pressing Enter without entering anything. Sometimes, new Macs don’t have a password set by default.

4. Check the Account List:

• On the left pane, you’ll see a list of all users on the computer. Check if your new username appears in the list. If it does, it might give you an idea of what might be going on.

• If the new username is not an admin, it will not accept the password when trying to make system changes. Ensure that the account you’re primarily using is set to “Admin.”

5. Reset Password (if required):

• If you’re still having trouble with the password:

• Restart the MacBook Air.

• As it starts up, press and hold Command + R until the Apple logo appears. This boots into Recovery Mode.

• Choose Utilities from the top menu and then Terminal.

• In Terminal, type resetpassword and hit Enter.

• Follow the on-screen instructions to reset the password for your account(s).

• Note: This doesn’t change the password for your Apple ID or any other accounts, just the computer login.

6. Future Reference:

• Changing your account “Full Name” doesn’t change the home folder’s name or the account’s short name. So even if you change the visible username, the underlying system-level details remain the same.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2023 1:22 PM in response to MacBookerror

1. Login with Old Username:

• First, if you’re able to log into the computer using the old username, do that.

2. Access User & Groups:

• Go to the Apple menu () in the top-left corner.

• Select System Preferences.

• Click on Users & Groups.

3. Unlock Settings:

• At the bottom left of the “Users & Groups” window, there’s a lock icon. Click it.

• You might be prompted for an admin password. If you remember setting one up, use it. If you didn’t set one, just try pressing Enter without entering anything. Sometimes, new Macs don’t have a password set by default.

4. Check the Account List:

• On the left pane, you’ll see a list of all users on the computer. Check if your new username appears in the list. If it does, it might give you an idea of what might be going on.

• If the new username is not an admin, it will not accept the password when trying to make system changes. Ensure that the account you’re primarily using is set to “Admin.”

5. Reset Password (if required):

• If you’re still having trouble with the password:

• Restart the MacBook Air.

• As it starts up, press and hold Command + R until the Apple logo appears. This boots into Recovery Mode.

• Choose Utilities from the top menu and then Terminal.

• In Terminal, type resetpassword and hit Enter.

• Follow the on-screen instructions to reset the password for your account(s).

• Note: This doesn’t change the password for your Apple ID or any other accounts, just the computer login.

6. Future Reference:

• Changing your account “Full Name” doesn’t change the home folder’s name or the account’s short name. So even if you change the visible username, the underlying system-level details remain the same.

Changed Username now can't use login info

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.