Lost volume control with stereo Homepods

Since updating to tvOS 16.6 I have found the volume control on one of my stereo (original) Homepods no longer works via the Siri Remote. The left-hand Homepod volume can be changed with the top touch pad but using the Siri Remote has no effect. The Mute button also has no effect. Bizarrely the right-hand Homepod volume control & mute still works.

I have tried:

a) restarting the Homepods & restarting the Apple TV 4K

b) Ungrouping the Homepods and pairing them again

c) Ungrouping the Homepods, replacing the left-hand Homepod with a spare Original Homepod and pairing it with the right-hand Homepod (which suggests that resetting the Homepods will not fix the problem)

d) Restarting the Siri Remote ( If the volume buttons on your Apple TV remote stop working - Apple Support )

I have run out of ideas. I am hoping that a future tvOS will fix this issue.

Apple TV 4K (2nd generation)

Posted on Aug 20, 2023 2:07 PM

Similar questions

11 replies

Sep 3, 2023 2:14 PM in response to Michael Paine

I decided to reset the Apple TV. For now that has fixed the problem of volume control of stereo Homepods.

During the reset I came across an issue where the Apple TV did not recognise the Siri Remote - I couldn't go past the first step of selecting a language.

Eventually I remembered the Apple TV came with an earlier remote model. Luckily I found it in a cupboard, charged it up and managed to get it to talk to the ATV. After the ATV was set up I connected the Siri Remote with this advice from Apple:

Reconnect the Siri Remote to Apple TV – Apple Support (AU)

Perhaps I could have used this method at the start of the setup process?

Sep 6, 2023 2:43 PM in response to Michael Paine

As posted in another discussion...

The problem reoccurred for me this morning and I think I have found a temporary fix for my system.

Change the Apple TV default audio output to the TV (i.e. not stereo homepods)

Turn the power off for the homepods

Restart the Apple TV

Power up the homepods

Change the Apple TV audio output to the stereo homepods

Start playing some audio and press the mute button on the Siri Remote see check that both homepods are muted

If this doesn't work try resetting the Apple TV.

Also try renaming the stereo homepods in the iOS Home app while they are not the default output

Lost volume control with stereo Homepods

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.