How do i use my ipad for phone calls?

Can my ipad be used for making phone calls? It does have a SIM card in it.

My next question is why can't I post this qestion? It keeps saying post must include text!! What else is this writing but text???

iPad mini 4

Posted on Aug 21, 2023 1:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2023 1:32 AM

You can make and receive calls on your iPad by using Wi-Fi Calling to relay phone calls through your iPhone (iOS 9 or later required). Cellular charges may apply. Wi-Fi Calling is not available from all carriers.

Important: Wi-Fi + Cellular models do not support cellular phone service—they support cellular data transmission only. To make phone calls on any iPad model, you need to use Wi-Fi Calling and an iPhone.

See Make and receive phone calls on iPad - Apple Support.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2023 1:32 AM in response to Chrisjd1950

You can make and receive calls on your iPad by using Wi-Fi Calling to relay phone calls through your iPhone (iOS 9 or later required). Cellular charges may apply. Wi-Fi Calling is not available from all carriers.

Important: Wi-Fi + Cellular models do not support cellular phone service—they support cellular data transmission only. To make phone calls on any iPad model, you need to use Wi-Fi Calling and an iPhone.

See Make and receive phone calls on iPad - Apple Support.

Aug 21, 2023 2:39 AM in response to Chrisjd1950

Do you have an iPhone - or just an iPad?

An iPad, whether a Cellular model or not, is not capable of directly accessing Cellular Voice or SMS/MMS Messaging features. An iPad with either WiFi or Cellular connectivity alone can only access IP-data services. If you have added a DataSIM and Cellular plan to a WiFi+Cellular model of iPad, the number associated with the SIM card is only used to identify your account for billing purposes. This number is not used for making calls or sending messages. An iPad is not, and can never be, a standalone substitute for an iPhone.

However, If paired with an iPhone, the capabilities of iPad significantly broaden to include access to Cellular Voice and Messaging services of the associated iPhone - relayed to the iPad over WiFi using Apple’s continuity features. For the most part, an iPad using Continuity is able to access Cellular calling features, of the iPhone, when both the iPad an iPhone are in close physical proximity and are connected to the same WiFi network - but this is not the end of the story.

Now, if your both your Cellular Carrier and your calling plan support WiFi Calling, your iPad can make and receive calls independently of the iPhone - even when the iPhone is switched off, elsewhere, or using a different WiFi network. Not all carriers support full WiFi calling.

More information about Continuity and the relevant Cellular services can be found here:

Continuity

Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch – Apple Support

SMS/MMS Messaging

Forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your Mac or iPad - Apple Support

WiFi Calling

Make a call with Wi-Fi Calling – Apple Support

Make and receive phone calls on iPad - Apple Support

When correctly configured, the iPad FaceTime App provides access to Cellular Voice Calling features - whilst Messages supports SMS/MMS messaging services.

So, in conclusion, if your iPhone’s Cellular Carrier and tariff support WiFi Calling, it is theoretically possible to configure WiFi Calling service for your iPad. After WiFi Calling is enabled and configured, your iPad can continue to make and receive cellular calls whilst connected to a WiFi network.

Aug 21, 2023 3:51 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks for all the information, HOWEVER, even though I have wifi calling switched on (on the iPhone), when I try to call a number, by tapping it on my iPad, I get the following message:- "iPhone Calls Not Available: Your iPhone must be signed in with the same Apple ID for FaceTime and iCloud to make phone calls from this iPad."

All of those requirements are in place so I don't understand why I get this message!

Any suggestions??

How do i use my ipad for phone calls?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.