Virus on my iPhone?

I don’t know wether iPhones get viruses but most of the time when go on either google or safari it will tell me a have either 1 or 2 and today I have 13. I don’t know how and I guessed it was probably just scammers because they put a link at the bottom but it was just to random app. I know I shouldn’t have pressed the app link but I went on full shutdown. I turned my iPhone off then researched how to get rid of a virus and I did safety check and now I feel more secure but not fully because throughout the whole process safari and google weren’t in the safety check I did,not from what I saw. Help please

iPhone 12, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 21, 2023 2:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2023 2:54 AM

Hi here are some steps which you can use to remove virus and also make your iPhone safe.

iPhones are generally considered to be more secure compared to other devices due to Apple's stringent app review process and the closed nature of the iOS operating system. However, no system is completely immune to security threats, including viruses and malware. If you suspect your iPhone might be infected or compromised, here are some steps you can take:

1. Update iOS: Ensure that your iPhone is running the latest version of iOS. Updates often include security patches that can help protect your device from known vulnerabilities.

2. Install a Security App: While iOS has built-in security features, you can also install a reputable security app from the App Store. These apps can scan for potential threats and provide an extra layer of protection.

3. Check Installed Apps: Review your installed apps and remove any that you don't recognize or trust. Sometimes, malicious apps can slip through the App Store's review process.

4. Disable Unknown Sources: iPhones do not allow you to install apps from unknown sources outside of the App Store, which helps prevent malware installation. Make sure this setting is disabled.

5. Avoid Jailbreaking: Jailbreaking your iPhone removes many of the built-in security features and opens the device to potential vulnerabilities. Avoid jailbreaking unless you have a thorough understanding of the risks.

6. Reset Network Settings: Sometimes, malware can interfere with network settings. Resetting network settings can help resolve connectivity issues caused by malicious software.

7. Clear Safari Cache and Data: If you use the Safari browser, clearing your cache and website data can help remove any potentially compromised content.

8. Change Passwords: Change the passwords for your Apple ID, email accounts, and other sensitive accounts. This helps prevent unauthorized access even if your device has been compromised.

9. Factory Reset: If you suspect your device is severely compromised and you've exhausted other options, you might consider performing a factory reset. This erases all data on the device and reinstalls the operating system. Remember to back up your important data before proceeding.

10. Contact Apple Support: If you're uncertain about the security of your device or if you're facing persistent issues, it's a good idea to contact Apple Support for assistance.

Please note that the steps mentioned above are general guidelines and may not cover all possible scenarios. For the most accurate and up-to-date information, it's recommended to refer to official sources such as Apple's support documentation or contact their support directly. Also, be cautious about using third-party tools or methods that claim to remove viruses, as some of them might be scams or even malware themselves.

[Edited by Moderator]

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2023 2:54 AM in response to Justapersonwhodoesntknowtech

Hi here are some steps which you can use to remove virus and also make your iPhone safe.

iPhones are generally considered to be more secure compared to other devices due to Apple's stringent app review process and the closed nature of the iOS operating system. However, no system is completely immune to security threats, including viruses and malware. If you suspect your iPhone might be infected or compromised, here are some steps you can take:

1. Update iOS: Ensure that your iPhone is running the latest version of iOS. Updates often include security patches that can help protect your device from known vulnerabilities.

2. Install a Security App: While iOS has built-in security features, you can also install a reputable security app from the App Store. These apps can scan for potential threats and provide an extra layer of protection.

3. Check Installed Apps: Review your installed apps and remove any that you don't recognize or trust. Sometimes, malicious apps can slip through the App Store's review process.

4. Disable Unknown Sources: iPhones do not allow you to install apps from unknown sources outside of the App Store, which helps prevent malware installation. Make sure this setting is disabled.

5. Avoid Jailbreaking: Jailbreaking your iPhone removes many of the built-in security features and opens the device to potential vulnerabilities. Avoid jailbreaking unless you have a thorough understanding of the risks.

6. Reset Network Settings: Sometimes, malware can interfere with network settings. Resetting network settings can help resolve connectivity issues caused by malicious software.

7. Clear Safari Cache and Data: If you use the Safari browser, clearing your cache and website data can help remove any potentially compromised content.

8. Change Passwords: Change the passwords for your Apple ID, email accounts, and other sensitive accounts. This helps prevent unauthorized access even if your device has been compromised.

9. Factory Reset: If you suspect your device is severely compromised and you've exhausted other options, you might consider performing a factory reset. This erases all data on the device and reinstalls the operating system. Remember to back up your important data before proceeding.

10. Contact Apple Support: If you're uncertain about the security of your device or if you're facing persistent issues, it's a good idea to contact Apple Support for assistance.

Please note that the steps mentioned above are general guidelines and may not cover all possible scenarios. For the most accurate and up-to-date information, it's recommended to refer to official sources such as Apple's support documentation or contact their support directly. Also, be cautious about using third-party tools or methods that claim to remove viruses, as some of them might be scams or even malware themselves.

[Edited by Moderator]

Aug 21, 2023 9:35 AM in response to Justapersonwhodoesntknowtech

Thank you this has been very helpful, I do have questions about two things though…with the safari cache and data for some it won’t let me delete everything I don’t know whether this because it was set like that and can’t be changed or whether I have a certain setting on but I still have erased everything I can. Also with the apps for protection and privacy are they free or would I have to pay for them? Thank you again for your help

Virus on my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.