Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

I have a yahoo att mail account that works on web login and on iphone mail, but the mail app on Macbook will not authenticate the password

Hello all,

I have a yahoo att mail account that works on web login and on iphone mail after changing the password, but now the mail app on Macbook Pro will not authenticate the password. There doesn't seem to be any way to change the password on the Macbook as far as I can see. I also can't remove the account and re-add, because the message box only gives me options to either remove account from all devices, or de-activate it.

I'm not sure what to do now and would really appreciate someone's help.

Thank you very much!

Tod

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Aug 21, 2023 7:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2023 7:50 PM

tod96 Said:

"I have a yahoo att mail account that works on web login and on iphone mail, but the mail app on Macbook will not authenticate the password: [...]I'm not sure what to do now and would really appreciate someone's help.[...]"

-------

Use an App Password:

Do you use an App Password? If so, try a new App Password. Create a unique on for each device. Remove the current one, and then use the new one instead. Sometimes, changes (i.e. updates) are made to the device, and then mail server syncing becomes an issue (which is what a new App Password it intended to fix). Yahoo! App Password Link: Generate and manage third-party app passwords | Account Help | Yahoo

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2023 7:50 PM in response to tod96

tod96 Said:

"I have a yahoo att mail account that works on web login and on iphone mail, but the mail app on Macbook will not authenticate the password: [...]I'm not sure what to do now and would really appreciate someone's help.[...]"

-------

Use an App Password:

Do you use an App Password? If so, try a new App Password. Create a unique on for each device. Remove the current one, and then use the new one instead. Sometimes, changes (i.e. updates) are made to the device, and then mail server syncing becomes an issue (which is what a new App Password it intended to fix). Yahoo! App Password Link: Generate and manage third-party app passwords | Account Help | Yahoo

Aug 21, 2023 8:16 PM in response to TheLittles

Hi....Rhank you for the quick reply. I wasn't sure but found several references in MacBook passwords and changed to my new password so they match but it didn't help. :(. Here is the dialog box that pops up after selecting the icon next to the mailbox. This happened after I changed my yahoo password. I got it to work OK on my iphone mail app.

Aug 21, 2023 8:28 PM in response to tod96

tod96 Said:

"I could not post an image of the dialog box. It's an authentication error dialog box and behind it is a dialog box named 'change password' but can't access it."

-------

You Need to Log in with an App Password.

Mail is a third-party app. If you try this incorrectly too many times, then you may get Locke out of your Yahoo! account. So, what happens when you use an App Password? Yahoo! App Password Link: Generate and manage third-party app passwords | Account Help | Yahoo

Oct 12, 2023 1:03 PM in response to TheLittles

same issue - Yahoo! App Password generator said not available for Mail. The only thing I have to add is my password change on Yahoo didn't have the same problem on my laptop which runs on Big Sur. Desktop iMac is running Catalina 15.7. I tried creating a new Yahoo email and it wouldn't accept that in Mail either. This also happened when I changed my password on G mail on the iMac. So now both have to be accessed via the web for the desktop.

I have a yahoo att mail account that works on web login and on iphone mail, but the mail app on Macbook will not authenticate the password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.