Apple TV quits while watching on Hulu

Multiple times this evening my ATV 4K has quit while streaming via Hulu and gone to cable programming. Pressing the return ( < ) key on the ATV remote brings the Hulu app up ready to continue the program. The behavior is similar to that discussed five years ago. The current behavior suggests the ATV is going to sleep and then being awoken.

Any thoughts?

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Aug 21, 2023 8:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 8:33 AM

Does the status light go off when this happens?

What is your model Apple TV?

Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

Find your Apple TV model number - Apple Support

What is its version system software (tvOS)?

The Apple TV box should not go to sleep mode when an app is streaming; only when the device is idle for xx minutes.

Try this for any misbehaving app:

1. Force-quit the app, then relaunch and try again.
  2. If the issue persists, force-quit the app, restart the device, then relaunch and try again.
  3. If the issue still persists, delete the app, re-download and try again.
  4. If the issue still persists, then contact the app developer for further assistance.

Also verify that the box doesn’t overheat. Operating temperature for the room should be 95°F (35°C) or lower, and the box should be on a hard flat surface with enough ventilation, so that the fans at the bottom can work effectively.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2023 8:33 AM in response to mainemorn

Does the status light go off when this happens?

What is your model Apple TV?

Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

Find your Apple TV model number - Apple Support

What is its version system software (tvOS)?

The Apple TV box should not go to sleep mode when an app is streaming; only when the device is idle for xx minutes.

Try this for any misbehaving app:

1. Force-quit the app, then relaunch and try again.
  2. If the issue persists, force-quit the app, restart the device, then relaunch and try again.
  3. If the issue still persists, delete the app, re-download and try again.
  4. If the issue still persists, then contact the app developer for further assistance.

Also verify that the box doesn’t overheat. Operating temperature for the room should be 95°F (35°C) or lower, and the box should be on a hard flat surface with enough ventilation, so that the fans at the bottom can work effectively.

Aug 22, 2023 8:42 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Model is A2843 (128 GB) and the TV OS is 16.6 (20M73).

I have deleted two of the offending apps and reloaded them. I tested one (Peacock), allowing it to play the evening news. Ten minutes into the viewing the ATV powered off again.

I am in the process of resetting (per someone else’s advice) the ATV which will take some time.

And I regard to the environment, the room temperature is in the low 70’s and the box is sitting out on a surface away from other potential heat sources.

Apple TV quits while watching on Hulu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.