Keyboard shortcut to toggle between two tabs in Mac Safari?

I don't see a keyboard shortcut to toggle between two tabs in Mac Safari, and I'm wondering if I'm missing something. I know Command-1, Command-2, etc. will go to tab #1, tab #2, etc., and I know Ctrl-Tab cycles forward and Ctrl-Shift-Tab cycles backward among tabs, but I'd like to just toggle back and forth between two particular tabs. Or if there's no way to do that, even simply a keyboard shortcut to return to the tab I was just on.

Thanks for any help. I'm in the latest Ventura version.

iMac 24″

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 9:44 AM

5 replies

Aug 22, 2023 2:36 PM in response to rick7

Well, from an existing tab in Safari, returning to the previous website, the command shortcut would be command + "arrow left".

If you are looking for a website in a tab you closed, you'll have to use the menu bar to do it. You could use command + Z to immediately restore a closed tab but otherwise you'll need to use the menu bar and thus the keyboard.

Aug 22, 2023 5:16 PM in response to 6x6

Thanks, command + 'arrow left' doesn't go to the previously-viewed tab for me. Sometimes it seems to move to another object within the current web page, and sometimes does nothing.

I'm reading here how-to-go-to-previously-viewed-tab-on-safari that there really isn't a keyboard shortcut for it but apparently someone wrote a browser extension for it so I'll check out.

Keyboard shortcut to toggle between two tabs in Mac Safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.