Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Command-click not opening new tab in Safari

In Safari, when I do 'Command-Click' on a link inside a web page, it should open up the linked page in a new tab. And it does, except for one particular website (ctvnews.ca) - for this site, the linked page replaces the original page, just as if I had done a simple Click.

Why would just this one website do this while all the others behave properly? And what can I do about it?

iMac (M1, 2021)

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 12:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 12:14 PM

New Tab is command-T.

If the default homepage is configured in the settings, the new tab will open with that page.

If you set that default homepage to be a blank page, that's what opens.

command-L lets you enter a new link in the link field (a.k.a URL field). For people coming from Mac to PC world after getting used to command-L, sadly, that logs them out of the PC with control-L.

Each program you have to learn a slightly different set of shortcuts.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2023 12:14 PM in response to Paul Fryer

New Tab is command-T.

If the default homepage is configured in the settings, the new tab will open with that page.

If you set that default homepage to be a blank page, that's what opens.

command-L lets you enter a new link in the link field (a.k.a URL field). For people coming from Mac to PC world after getting used to command-L, sadly, that logs them out of the PC with control-L.

Each program you have to learn a slightly different set of shortcuts.

Command-click not opening new tab in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.