Mac Book Air hot

Mac book air runs very hot even when i Don’t run anything I reset smc still very hot and I put the Mac on a hard book surface please could you help

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 3:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 4:52 PM

Please refer to About fans and fan noise in your Apple product - Apple Support. Within that document you will find the following link, Keep your Mac laptop within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support. In turn, it contains the following excerpt:

"If your Mac laptop gets warm even when it isn’t doing tasks that require intensive calculations, or if it has fans that run for a long time, use Activity Monitor to check CPU activity. Look for malfunctioning processes that can put a significant load on the CPU and check for unexpected fan use. If issues persist, close and open the lid on your laptop, or restart your computer. If you have an Intel-based Mac, reset the SMC."

I know you reset the SMC with no effect. For additional suggestions please post a screenshot of Activity Monitor similar to the one shown in that Apple Support document.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2023 4:52 PM in response to Kalliopi

Please refer to About fans and fan noise in your Apple product - Apple Support. Within that document you will find the following link, Keep your Mac laptop within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support. In turn, it contains the following excerpt:

"If your Mac laptop gets warm even when it isn’t doing tasks that require intensive calculations, or if it has fans that run for a long time, use Activity Monitor to check CPU activity. Look for malfunctioning processes that can put a significant load on the CPU and check for unexpected fan use. If issues persist, close and open the lid on your laptop, or restart your computer. If you have an Intel-based Mac, reset the SMC."

I know you reset the SMC with no effect. For additional suggestions please post a screenshot of Activity Monitor similar to the one shown in that Apple Support document.

Mac Book Air hot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.