Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

White margin around photos when I zoom into Photos app

Recently whenever I opened my Photos app, all photos had a thick white margin around them but when I clicked on the photo, it appeared normally (right size). My iPhone is iPhone 7 Plus version iOS 15.7.8. This started happening soon before I decided to install a update from Settings.

I’ve never backuped iCloud on my phone is that the cause of the problem?

Example of what I mean below:

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 15

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 4:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2023 7:20 AM

Well, that was a great answer if you had been using Photos on a Mac to view your pictures-- I missed that you were asking about an iPhone. Sorry about that...

The Aspect Ratio Grid choice on the phone is under the three dots in the Library view. It's the same general idea.

This should work better for you, I hope.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2023 7:20 AM in response to Richard.Taylor

Well, that was a great answer if you had been using Photos on a Mac to view your pictures-- I missed that you were asking about an iPhone. Sorry about that...

The Aspect Ratio Grid choice on the phone is under the three dots in the Library view. It's the same general idea.

This should work better for you, I hope.

Aug 23, 2023 6:52 AM in response to cuteronniekitty

There are two ways to view the thumbnails in Photos. They call them the "Square Photo Grid" and the "Aspect Ratio Grid." You can switch between them with the View menu, like this:

In Square Photo Grid mode, you're given the option to switch to Aspect Ratio mode, and vice-versa.

There is also a button at the top next to the slider that adjusts the size of the thumbnails:

I never use the Square Grid.

Hope this helps...

White margin around photos when I zoom into Photos app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.