Continue Bluetooth Audio

Hi, is there a way to continue listening to audio on the bluetooth device even after connecting to a second device?

For example, if I'm listening to a podcast through my airpods and when I get into my car and my iphone connects to the bluetooth receiver in the car, the audio will automatically continue playing from the car receiver.

I would like to be able to continue listening from the first device. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Posted on Aug 23, 2023 5:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2023 8:51 AM

iOS devices typically do not support the simultaneous connection of audio to two different Bluetooth devices. This means that if you're listening to the audio on one Bluetooth device and you connect to a second Bluetooth device, the audio will likely switch to the second device.

However with Home Pod the story is slightly different because it uses AirPlay.

Play audio on multiple AirPlay 2-enabled devices

With AirPlay 2 and iPhone, you can play audio on multiple AirPlay 2-enabled devices connected to the same Wi-Fi network. For example, you can play a party playlist on HomePod speakers in the living room and kitchen, on an Apple TV in the bedroom, and on an AirPlay 2-enabled smart TV in the den.

Siri: Say something like:

• “Stop playing music everywhere”
  • “Set the dining room volume to 10 percent”
  • “What’s playing in the kitchen?”
  • “Play a song I like in the kitchen”
  • “Add the living room speaker”
  • “Remove the music from the kitchen”
  • “Move the music to the den”

You can also choose playback destinations from the iPhone screen.

1. Tap  in Control Center, on the Lock Screen, or on the Now Playing screen for the app you’re listening to.
  2. Select each device you want to use.

Note: Devices arranged in a stereo pair are treated as a single audio device.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2023 8:51 AM in response to Brand_New_Apple_Guy

iOS devices typically do not support the simultaneous connection of audio to two different Bluetooth devices. This means that if you're listening to the audio on one Bluetooth device and you connect to a second Bluetooth device, the audio will likely switch to the second device.

However with Home Pod the story is slightly different because it uses AirPlay.

Play audio on multiple AirPlay 2-enabled devices

With AirPlay 2 and iPhone, you can play audio on multiple AirPlay 2-enabled devices connected to the same Wi-Fi network. For example, you can play a party playlist on HomePod speakers in the living room and kitchen, on an Apple TV in the bedroom, and on an AirPlay 2-enabled smart TV in the den.

Siri: Say something like:

• “Stop playing music everywhere”
  • “Set the dining room volume to 10 percent”
  • “What’s playing in the kitchen?”
  • “Play a song I like in the kitchen”
  • “Add the living room speaker”
  • “Remove the music from the kitchen”
  • “Move the music to the den”

You can also choose playback destinations from the iPhone screen.

1. Tap  in Control Center, on the Lock Screen, or on the Now Playing screen for the app you’re listening to.
  2. Select each device you want to use.

Note: Devices arranged in a stereo pair are treated as a single audio device.

Continue Bluetooth Audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.