Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Is 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 compatible with Apple 20W charger

I have a 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 model MPHJ2LL/A that I bought in December of 2017. The charger that came with the iPad is the standard 12 watt charger. Is my iPad compatible with the Apple 20 watt fast charger and ok to use with out damaging the iPad or battery?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Aug 23, 2023 1:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2023 1:36 PM

The 20 watt charger will charge the iPad and will be “compatible” in that it will charge the iPad, it will not quick charge the iPad unless the iPad is capable of fast charging. It will however, take what it needs from the charger. If the charger is 20 watt and the iPad only charges using 12 watt, it will only use the 12 watts from the charger and will not over charge the iPad. The iPad will only draw what it needs to charge, it will not damage your iPad.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2023 1:36 PM in response to KD5ITM

The 20 watt charger will charge the iPad and will be “compatible” in that it will charge the iPad, it will not quick charge the iPad unless the iPad is capable of fast charging. It will however, take what it needs from the charger. If the charger is 20 watt and the iPad only charges using 12 watt, it will only use the 12 watts from the charger and will not over charge the iPad. The iPad will only draw what it needs to charge, it will not damage your iPad.

Is 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 compatible with Apple 20W charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.