How can I change my payment method?

I want to change payment from gift card to credit card for Apple care subscription

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Aug 23, 2023 4:21 PM

8 replies

Aug 24, 2023 3:51 PM in response to jansglass

Locate Payment Method:

• Open Settings
  • Tap Apple ID
  • Tap Payment & Shipping

There you will see all cards/Apple Pay available for purchases.

If, the card you prefer isn’t at the top of the list then you can try these methods to get it there.

Please note- If you have “Apple Pay” as your first option you may have to remove it first.

If you are using “Apple Pay” for reality payment methods-Groceries, Gas/Petrol, Fair ground tickets, etc.. only; you may find this is a small interruption in the system.

(If there are more people facing the same issue, Apple will fix this soon)

follow the steps listed below to get your default payment.

Tap Edit section:

• Rearrange your cards by holding your finger on the card slot and then moving it to the the top of the list
  • Click done
  • Go back a page “Apple ID”, then go back into “Payment & Shipping

If the card hasn’t become the first payment remove the card completely from the payment option, Then add it back by using “Add Payment Method”.

Remove card:

• Tap Edit
  • Tap red hyphen (-)
  • Click done

Add card back:

• Click “Add Payment Method”
  • Add card details
  • Click done

Card should now be the default option for purchases.

Note- if you have cards that are in your “Wallet” and you don’t use them for internet purchases- iTunes Store, Subscriptions, Flight tickets, etc… make sure these cards are completely removed from “Payment & Shipping”.

They will clash with each other.

If you still have problems contact Apple Support:

Official Apple Support

Download their Support app through the App Store

(link below is for GB 🇬🇧):

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

And Raicya has already provided a great amount of information that is available on the Apple website.

Aug 24, 2023 12:05 AM in response to jansglass

See -> If you need to change or update your Apple ID payment method

If you need to change or update your Apple ID payment method - Apple Support

See also the following Apple articles:

Payment methods you can use with your Apple ID

Payment methods you can use with your Apple ID – Apple Support (UK)

fyi: Not all credit & debit cards seem to work with App Store / iTunes Store, try a different one, or preferably a credit card.

If your card is not accepted as a paymenf method, you need to contact your bank.

If you have followed all the steps and instructions and if you still need help, get support from Apple directly -> Get Support or call Apple in your region see -> Contact Apple for support and service or check -> here for more support and assistance.

Aug 24, 2023 5:33 PM in response to jansglass

Follow the steps listed below to get your default payment.

Your Payment & Shipping page

Tap Edit section:

• Rearrange your cards by holding your finger on the card slot and then moving it to the the top of the list
  • Click done
  • Go back a page “Apple ID”, then go back into “Payment & Shipping

If the card hasn’t become the first payment remove the card completely from the payment option, Then add it back by using “Add Payment Method”.

Remove card:

• Tap Edit
  • Tap red hyphen (-)
  • Click done

Add card back:

• Click “Add Payment Method”
  • Add card details
  • Click done

Card should now be the default option for purchase's

Aug 24, 2023 1:28 PM in response to jansglass

Thank you for the info! The payments came out of my account balance which was personal, and I wanted to change the payment to go to my business credit card. I have added my business card to Payments, but you can not change anything! It would be wonderful to be able to choose between personal credit card, business credit card and account! Apple needs to address this. Thanks again.

Aug 24, 2023 2:01 PM in response to jansglass

You can have a credit card / debit card on file and an Apple Account balance.

Your default payment method will be used first by Apple when you need to make a payment.  

If you have set your Apple Account balance as your default payment method and you have a CC / debit card, you pay from your default payment method.

If you have 2 CC, and you have set one CC as your default payment method that will be charge by Apple.

To use the business credit card you need to contact your company - IT department.

How can I change my payment method?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.