WindowServer stops and computer locks

Hi all,

I have a problem with new Mac Air m2 during my work it suddenly stops and locks the screen. When I open it again all apps restart and I get the message attached in the Log report.

Anyone an idea to solve this?

Thanks!

MacBook Air (M2, 2022)

Posted on Aug 24, 2023 12:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2023 2:10 AM

Well for one the report is showing " OS Version: macOS 13.0 (22A380)"

You may consider descending the External Monitor for the next step

The current stable version is macOS Ventura 13.5.1

The link below are from Apple on keeping the computer up to date

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support (CA)

Apple security releases - Apple Support (CA)

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2023 2:10 AM in response to TL_75

Well for one the report is showing " OS Version: macOS 13.0 (22A380)"

You may consider descending the External Monitor for the next step

The current stable version is macOS Ventura 13.5.1

The link below are from Apple on keeping the computer up to date

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support (CA)

Apple security releases - Apple Support (CA)

Sep 6, 2023 10:14 AM in response to ztxdesign

Have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Sep 6, 2023 9:40 AM in response to TL_75

TL_75 wrote:

Anyone an idea to solve this?

If the bug still exists in the current version of Ventura, a proper fix will have to come from Apple. They're the only ones with access to the source code and the tools to build a new version of the operating system.

What I gather from the dump is that

• The WindowServer (an extremely important system process) crashed
  • It crashed because some statistics collection thread went off into the weeds. Looks like it was trying to release dynamically-allocated memory, at some address that didn't exist in the process's virtual memory space, which caused an EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS) exception. Possibly there was some bug that caused the software to attempt to traverse and free parts of a data structure that had already been freed, thus causing the use of the bogus pointer that triggered the exception.

I don't know if there are any user-level preferences for gathering analytical data that would be relevant. If one was really lucky, there might be a preference that you could turn off, to keep it from trying to gather whatever statistics the buggy thread was concerned with. But while that's an educated guess, I think there's only a very slim chance that things are going to be that easy.

What I would suggest – whenever this happens, send the FULL crash dump to Apple. A show-stopper bug in the WindowServer that gets reported by many customers is going to be a major "pain point" inside Apple Engineering, much more so than many lesser bugs that people complain about. The crash dumps (plus whatever information that you can provide about anything unusual you were doing when the crashes occurred) will be what the software engineers need to figure out why this is happening, and to do something about it.

Aug 24, 2023 2:15 AM in response to TL_75

Since a few days (21/08) I'm having the same issues, without using an external display..

Version 13.4.1 (c) (22F770820d), updating to 13.5.1 now, seeing if that'll fix it.

I found this in the system logs:

Termination Reason:    Namespace WATCHDOG, Code 1 monitoring timed out for service
(1 monitored services unresponsive): checkin with service: WindowServer returned not alive with context:
unresponsive work processor(s): WindowServer main thread
40 seconds since last successful checkin, 31834 total successful checkins since 380685 seconds ago (0 induced crashes)

WindowServer stops and computer locks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.