Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

OS won't install after iMac has been erased

Hey everyone, I have an old 2011 intel based iMac that I'd love to donate to someone in need in my community. I was able to erase the machine no problem, but now whenever I restart it just displays the Disk Utility popup. When I select Reinstall OS X, it acts like it is going to work but never actually finishes the install. I've also tried restarting in internet mode, but that didn't work either (I think because I only have wifi available versus ethernet?)

Does anyone have any other ideas to solve this? It is so old there is even a CD slot... curious if OS can be installed that way.

Would hate to just have to recycle this machine, it was perfectly functional before the erase.

Thanks!!

iMac 21.5″

Posted on Aug 24, 2023 2:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2023 8:45 PM

Does anyone have any other ideas to solve this? It is so old there is even a CD slot... curious if OS can be installed that way.

Yes. "Early 2011" iMacs shipped with operating system installation media (DVDs) that need to accompany those Macs from cradle to grave and should be included with the sale. Apple stopped including those two grey discs beginning with the "Mid 2011" iMacs, because they incorporated the Internet version of OS X Recovery. Certain earlier Macs could also use OS X Recovery, assuming their firmware had been updated: Computers that can be upgraded to use OS X Internet Recovery - Apple Support

Assuming you don't have those discs, your next course of action is to purchase a retail, white, Mac OS X Snow Leopard DVD. Apple no longer sells them but you may be able to find one on the used market. Boot from that disc, erase the Mac, install that operating system, and update it using Software Update. That will result in OS X 10.6.8, which will incorporate the App Store, which conveys the ability to upgrade to the latest macOS version compatible with that Mac (probably High Sierra). Read How to download macOS - Apple Support. Scroll down to High Sierra 10.13. Follow its instructions (use Safari).

The best option is to just sell the Mac in its present condition. The lack of an operating system should not deter a knowledgeable buyer of used Macs — and you should not sell it to anyone other than a knowledgeable buyer. It would just result in frustration all around. You would be far better off "recycling" it.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2023 8:45 PM in response to HRose26

Yes. "Early 2011" iMacs shipped with operating system installation media (DVDs) that need to accompany those Macs from cradle to grave and should be included with the sale. Apple stopped including those two grey discs beginning with the "Mid 2011" iMacs, because they incorporated the Internet version of OS X Recovery. Certain earlier Macs could also use OS X Recovery, assuming their firmware had been updated: Computers that can be upgraded to use OS X Internet Recovery - Apple Support

Assuming you don't have those discs, your next course of action is to purchase a retail, white, Mac OS X Snow Leopard DVD. Apple no longer sells them but you may be able to find one on the used market. Boot from that disc, erase the Mac, install that operating system, and update it using Software Update. That will result in OS X 10.6.8, which will incorporate the App Store, which conveys the ability to upgrade to the latest macOS version compatible with that Mac (probably High Sierra). Read How to download macOS - Apple Support. Scroll down to High Sierra 10.13. Follow its instructions (use Safari).

The best option is to just sell the Mac in its present condition. The lack of an operating system should not deter a knowledgeable buyer of used Macs — and you should not sell it to anyone other than a knowledgeable buyer. It would just result in frustration all around. You would be far better off "recycling" it.

OS won't install after iMac has been erased

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.