Apple Watch Family Location Sharing

Hello,

needing some advice with an Apple Watch. I’m considering buying a certified refurbished Apple Watch for my son. He’s only 5, he wouldn’t be using it as a watch. I was more looking for having cellular tracking with Find my as well as a way to call emergency contacts if needed. The issue I’m concerned of, is sharing location.

Are you able to share location with multiple Apple ID’s?? Could I set it up to share his location with me, but also send it to another Apple ID without sharing my own location. I would like to see his location, and him mom would like to as well for when he is at school. But I do not want our locations to have to be shared with each other as we are not together. Any insight would be great. Thanks

Posted on Aug 24, 2023 3:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2023 1:18 AM

If they were an adult with a watch paired to their own iphone they could share their location to several people without ny cross contamination.

Family paired watches - ie paired to one parent's iphone, are more limited, and you should get advice from Apple Support as too many people come here and claim they cannot get it to work. There is also a danger that location can only be shared with the one parent who paired the Watch

All the Apple doco I know of is in Set up Apple Watch for a family member - Apple Support 

which is scarce on tracking info.

My additional advice, for the sake of a few dollars buy a new watch such as the SE2020 or one refurbished by Apple from the apple.com refurb site.

Do not buy anything "certified refurbished" from Amazon, eBay or anywhere else who have probably just cleaned it up a bit, or it's an old Series 3 that is obsolescent, or worse done unauthorised fiddling with the insides.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2023 1:18 AM in response to kane269

If they were an adult with a watch paired to their own iphone they could share their location to several people without ny cross contamination.

Family paired watches - ie paired to one parent's iphone, are more limited, and you should get advice from Apple Support as too many people come here and claim they cannot get it to work. There is also a danger that location can only be shared with the one parent who paired the Watch

All the Apple doco I know of is in Set up Apple Watch for a family member - Apple Support 

which is scarce on tracking info.

My additional advice, for the sake of a few dollars buy a new watch such as the SE2020 or one refurbished by Apple from the apple.com refurb site.

Do not buy anything "certified refurbished" from Amazon, eBay or anywhere else who have probably just cleaned it up a bit, or it's an old Series 3 that is obsolescent, or worse done unauthorised fiddling with the insides.

Apple Watch Family Location Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.