MacBook Pro 2022 M2 battery issue running on external power..

My Macbook is around 9 months old and to date, I've been using it normally, charging every few days whenever it's got to 30% or so. After 60 charge cycles, it was still at 100% battery capacity.

Around 10 days ago, my job description effectively changed and I now use the MB with an external monitor and in clamshell mode, constantly plugged in to the PSU.

Before I did this, I selected the battery optimisation option and started using it basically as a desktop.

The problem is that in 10 days my battery capacity has fallen from 100% to 94% and I'm worried that I've damaged my battery by using the Mac plugged in.

I've spoken to Apple Support who took notes and asked me to continue to monitor the capacity to see if it falls any further but I'm worried that the battery may be damaged even more by leaving it plugged in.

Can anyone advise please?

MacBook Pro (M2, 2022)

Posted on Aug 25, 2023 10:27 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Aug 28, 2023 5:03 AM in response to SpongeBlob

Adding to the pervious suggestions.

Batteries are considered Consumable Products. Over time it will degrade to a point where it needs to be replaced.

The usage is normal as the capacity will go up and down all the time and never stay always at 100%.

Apple Batteries are rated for 1000 Full Battery Cycles and / or 80% Capacity before needing Evaluation or replacement.

For additional reading on Battery and Apple Computers this link may help. About battery health management in Mac notebooks and especially for the M1 / M2 and Big Sur  & Monterey  and Ventura If battery charging is paused or on hold on your Mac

A feature introduced into Big Sur & Monterey and Ventura was to preserve the number of Full Battery Cycles - there was an Algorithm coded into the macOS.

It is perfectly Normal for Big Sur , Monterey, Ventura to Pause / Suspend charging the battery beyond 80% and hold it at that level.

One can nudge / over-ride this by clicking the Battery Icon on Desktop Top Bar and allow charging beyond 80%. From observations, it will Pause / Suspend again once reading 90%. Same procedure to over-ride and will charge to 100%

image below from a former M1 MBA that was 18 months old before trading it in for the M2 version of MBA

The M2 Purchased March 2023 has exactly 6 Full Battery Cycles and is showing 99% Battery Capacity

Aug 28, 2023 3:45 AM in response to SpongeBlob

SpongeBlob wrote:

In the extended report that details amongst things battery health, cycles etc.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I was away from my mac for a while.

Does that mean "System Information"?

For comparison, here is what I see - no reference to a percentage of capacity. There a Full Charge Capacity, but I have not found what the initial value for it was, so I cannot compare.

The "State of Charge (%)" is just the current percentage. Is this where you are seeing 93% and not 100%?

If so, this may be due to the battery management system trying to adapt charging to the way the mac is usually used - see "Optimize battery charging" below:

MacBook Pro 2022 M2 battery issue running on external power..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.