Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Updating macOS to a newer version

My macOs High Sierra is 10.13.6 How do I upgrade to 10.14 or newer? I am trying to update Mimeo Photos but the update needs 10.14.

Posted on Aug 25, 2023 6:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2023 6:48 PM

High Sierra 10.13.6 is the last possible version for a mid 2011 iMac.

Also see the following from Identify your iMac model - Apple Support

iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011)

Model Identifier: iMac12,1

Part Number: MC309xx/A, MC812xx/A

Newest compatible operating system: macOS High Sierra

10 replies

Aug 25, 2023 7:16 PM in response to Jen8219

Apple frequently announces new products in Sept/Oct. The current 24" iMac was released in 2021 so it is a 2 year old model and it's possible that a newer version of it will be released soon. You may want to wait a short time to see if there is an announcement (only if you want the latest model, with the potential of being supported for upgrades for a longer time -- I have the current model and am very happy with it).

Regarding trade information , the following may help: Apple Trade In - Apple

Aug 25, 2023 8:07 PM in response to Jen8219

Jen8219 wrote:

So does that mean I can no longer get updates and need a new computer. I am sorry, I am not very computer savvy. I do thank you for reaching out.

It means that you can no longer get updates to macOS – or to the Safari browser, since Apple bundles Safari updates with macOS updates.

You can still get some software that might prolong the usable life of the machine. E.g.,

• The Firefox Web browser. As of a few weeks ago, an ESR (Extended Service Release) version ran on High Sierra, and was still receiving updates.
  • LibreOffice – a free Open Source office suite. New versions are no longer being released for High Sierra. However, you can still download LibreOffice 7.4.7 from the archive.
  • GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program). This photo editor is complex, but has fairly advanced features; therefore, might make a good complement to Apple Photos. You can no longer get Photoshop, Lightroom, Photoshop Elements, or Affinity Photo V1 for High Sierra, but for the moment, you can still get GIMP.

I believe the commercial backup utilities Carbon Copy Cloner V5 and SuperDuper! will also run on High Sierra. (You should definitely be doing some sort of backup, whether using Time Machine, or using one of them.)

Aug 25, 2023 7:00 PM in response to Jen8219

That's correct -- it can't be upgraded beyond High Sierra 10.13.6 and you cannot upgrade to 10.14 or later. If you need to install any software that requires 10.14 or later there isn't a way to do that.

Also, there are potential security issues with using Safari with High Sierra. For security reasons you should consider using a 3rd party internet browser that supports their current version with your older macOS. One example is Chrome. See: https://www.google.com/chrome/

Updating macOS to a newer version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.