Already have google iCloud do i need apple

I have Google icloud do i need to purchase iCloud for my ipad as well?

iPad mini 5, iPadOS 16

Posted on Aug 26, 2023 5:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2023 6:30 AM

This is a long and complicated topic.

It is really up to you. iCloud has smoother interface to Apple's general ecosystem. With Google you probably have to use special apps and deliberate transfers whereas with iCloud it does it all automatically. Also realize that iCloud is really more syncing storage. Items in iCloud are intended to be on a device as well as on Apple's servers. I suspect Google's storage is essentially like a hard drive in the cloud. It will offer off-device storage and may save you more drive space, but will require more management and organization on your part

Realize that you could use both, or even just the free 5GB you get with Apple (I can make do with that). If you have a lot of photos you could store those with Google to get them off your device completely. Turn off photo syncing with iCloud and just use Google for that. Leave iCloud to do things such as syncing contacts and items that don't use so much space.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2023 6:30 AM in response to aoliv50

This is a long and complicated topic.

It is really up to you. iCloud has smoother interface to Apple's general ecosystem. With Google you probably have to use special apps and deliberate transfers whereas with iCloud it does it all automatically. Also realize that iCloud is really more syncing storage. Items in iCloud are intended to be on a device as well as on Apple's servers. I suspect Google's storage is essentially like a hard drive in the cloud. It will offer off-device storage and may save you more drive space, but will require more management and organization on your part

Realize that you could use both, or even just the free 5GB you get with Apple (I can make do with that). If you have a lot of photos you could store those with Google to get them off your device completely. Turn off photo syncing with iCloud and just use Google for that. Leave iCloud to do things such as syncing contacts and items that don't use so much space.

Already have google iCloud do i need apple

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.