iTunes Store will not play sample songs

I can play songs that I've purchased and sample tunes I have searched for that are not listed in the top tunes. But I can't sample from the main iTunes page or via the top tunes and albums list. Even if I search for a top tune, the result will not play, but the songs in the results list that i don't want, will play. Ive logged out and in again; played with a few settings as advised via Apple guidance, but it will not work. And yes, i'm in iTunes Store, not In iTunes Music. The system is saying no updates needed. Can anyone help?

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Aug 26, 2023 7:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2023 9:20 AM

After trying to play samples on EP's or Albums that didn't play I notice the release date's fairly new, the release date's that are older play fine. For people that are having this problem check the EP or Album release date's and see if it's August 2023.

It's nothing to do with VPN or network problems, it's iTunes Store.

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2023 9:20 AM in response to nicolasnite

After trying to play samples on EP's or Albums that didn't play I notice the release date's fairly new, the release date's that are older play fine. For people that are having this problem check the EP or Album release date's and see if it's August 2023.

It's nothing to do with VPN or network problems, it's iTunes Store.

Aug 27, 2023 12:24 AM in response to LVV23

Start here, check the following Apple articles:

Check the status of your network on Mac

Check the status of your network on Mac - Apple Support

You need to have a good Wi-Fi.

If they are On, turn Off Hotspot & VPN.

Charge the battery > 70%.

Turn Off VPN, see -> Change VPN settings on Mac

Change VPN settings on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Make sure you don't have a firewall enabled: Change Firewall settings on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

If your Mac isn't connecting to the internet over Wi-Fi

If your Mac isn't connecting to the internet over Wi-Fi - Apple Support

If you can't connect to the App Store, iTunes Store, or other Apple services

If you can't connect to the App Store, iTunes Store, or other Apple services - Apple Support

👉 If you tried all of the above steps and you still can’t connect, contact Apple Support.

Aug 27, 2023 8:14 AM in response to LVV23

It seems it will play some Album and EP's samples and not others, I just released a EP samples play fine on other platforms but not on iTunes Store. I also notice that it does the same on some other EP's and Albums. Some will play and some won't. Have no problem playing samples on single releases. I can't figure it out. It will play a sample of my singles but same singles that are on my album won't play a sample.

Aug 29, 2023 8:40 AM in response to LVV23

Did more testing , samples seems to play on Albums and EP Ok with iPad latest IOS, Also tried it on my MacBook Pro with Catalina thinking it might be the OS version's , but it's not, still no samples can be played in iTunes stores just on some Albums or EP's, Also tried it on windows 11 still nothing, Very Strange. Thinking it may be a change in audio formatting, then why would single samples work and some albums or EP won't.

Sep 27, 2023 10:30 AM in response to LVV23

I reported this problem over a month ago when using my old mac. Have now got a new iMac with latest OS 14 running on it and guess what??? Have just opened music program and gone to iTunes store and the same tracks that didn't play on my old mac still do not play on my new one

WHEN IS APPLE GOING TO SORT THIS OUT AS THEY ARE VERY QUICK TO TAKE YOUR MONEY BUT ARE POOR AT PROVIDING THE FULL SERVICES THEY OFFER!!!!

Get your act together Apple or clients will be walking away from you as first choice for products.

I have been as loyal customer for over 23 years having bought 3 macs, 2 iPads and 6 iPhones in that time and this is the first time I have had to complain about your service.

Sep 27, 2023 11:10 AM in response to Mystery55

It's not windows, it's iTunes, it seems to happen mostly with EP's, I just released a EP several weeks ago, most of what's on the EP I also released as a single, the single samples songs will play but the same song that's on the EP won't. I search several EP's just released and none of the songs on the EP will not play. This is on Mac and Windows desktops, the same EP's will play on iPhone or iPad, If you go to another music service's like Spotify, Amazon Music , ect, they all play samples fine.

iTunes Store will not play sample songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.