Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Unable to Change Apple ID Email Address

When I try to change my Apple ID to another email address, I'm receiving this message: "Your new Apple ID cannot be the same as your notification email address. Choose a different email address." How do I remove my notification email address so that I can change my Apple ID?

iPhone 14, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 26, 2023 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2023 9:22 AM

From: About your Apple ID email addresses - Apple Support

Add or change a rescue [for most people called a notification address] email address

1. Sign in to appleid.apple.com.

2. Select Sign-In and Security.

3. Select Rescue Email. You might be asked to answer one or more security questions or enter your Apple ID password before you continue.

4. To add a rescue email address, select Add email. Then enter your rescue email address, then select Save changes. We send a verification to that address.

5. To change a rescue email address, enter the new address. We send a verification to that address.

6. Enter the verification code and click Continue.

If at any stage you don't get an expected verification see: If you didn't receive your verification or reset email - Apple Support

If you had a rescue email address on file when you upgraded to two-factor authentication or two-step verification, that email becomes your notification email. You can also use these steps to edit your notification email address. If you remove the notification email, you won't be able to add a new one.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2023 9:22 AM in response to schafda

From: About your Apple ID email addresses - Apple Support

Add or change a rescue [for most people called a notification address] email address

1. Sign in to appleid.apple.com.

2. Select Sign-In and Security.

3. Select Rescue Email. You might be asked to answer one or more security questions or enter your Apple ID password before you continue.

4. To add a rescue email address, select Add email. Then enter your rescue email address, then select Save changes. We send a verification to that address.

5. To change a rescue email address, enter the new address. We send a verification to that address.

6. Enter the verification code and click Continue.

If at any stage you don't get an expected verification see: If you didn't receive your verification or reset email - Apple Support

If you had a rescue email address on file when you upgraded to two-factor authentication or two-step verification, that email becomes your notification email. You can also use these steps to edit your notification email address. If you remove the notification email, you won't be able to add a new one.

Unable to Change Apple ID Email Address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.