Text notifications not working

Since I updated the software, I am no longer getting audible notifications or banners from text messages.

Even after spending 90 minutes on the phone with tech support, and they confirmed that everything was properly set up. They could not fix the problem and short of wiping my phone clean (which might not even fix it) they had no suggestions.

I get text notifications on my laptop and my iPad, but often I am only carrying my phone. Unless I open the app and manually look, nothing alerts me. The texts are there, they just do not show until the message app is opened.

I wish I could delete the update.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 26, 2023 8:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2023 8:58 AM

Assuming your notifications are indeed set up correctly, after you did the update, did you by chance force restart your iPhone? This is something I recommend after EVERY iOS update.

See how to do that here --> Force restart iPhone - Apple Support (PH)

See if notifications work as expected after you sign back into your iPhone.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2023 8:58 AM in response to docdebwriter

Assuming your notifications are indeed set up correctly, after you did the update, did you by chance force restart your iPhone? This is something I recommend after EVERY iOS update.

See how to do that here --> Force restart iPhone - Apple Support (PH)

See if notifications work as expected after you sign back into your iPhone.

Oct 4, 2023 8:41 AM in response to docdebwriter

Sorry, guys. I put up this post and then never came back to it. I spent countless HOURS on the phone with Apple support. I gave up when they wanted me to restore the phone back to its factory settings and reload everything. They said that might work. It didn't seem like a good recommendation and was going to go to an Apple store.

The force quit they recommended would work for a few hours, then stopped. I tried it several times.

On the last force quit, it was working 50% of the time, and I had to keep checking or have my iPad nearby. Then it started working 80% of the time... I do still miss occasional notifications, but I'm not messing with it anymore, as it seems to have mostly settled itself.

It's pretty sad when Apple can't tell me why something isn't working after I update their software. And I only updated it because Apple Play stopped working on my car... 🤦🏻‍♀️

Thank you for all your input. I hope your issues get resolved soon.

Aug 26, 2023 9:58 AM in response to docdebwriter

In Settings > Sounds & Haptics. Is the volume turned up in Ringtone and Alert Volume? You have gone into Settings > Notifications and made sure you have turned on how you want to be notified for alerts?

If yes to both, then it would be advisable to schedule an appointment at your Apple Store Genius Bar for evaluation and options.

Last question. Do you wear Apple Watch? If you do, notifications will go to your Apple Watch, not your iPhone if the iPhone screen is locked.

Jun 4, 2024 4:04 AM in response to docdebwriter

I just had this happen after an update. I could not find the answer anywhere. I looked at my driving Focus (come to think of it, I should look at the others too), the allowed apps area was cleared out. I “re-allowed” iMessage and everything is back to normal. Something must reset it with updates randomly. I was happy to find it was an easy fix. (It took me about 5 days of frustration to look there though! )

Text notifications not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.