Search Function in Mail App on MacBook Pro - Apple M1 Pro

When I go into Mail and try to search for an email, It won't work, I type in what I'm looking for, and select enter and it won't search. I've updated the software, and I've restarted my computer. Can anyone help?

MacBook Pro 14″

Posted on Aug 26, 2023 10:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2023 3:05 PM

Hi there Becks001,

Let's continue by making sure your MacBook Pro is running the latest software version, which is macOS Ventura 13.5.1. You can see the currently installed macOS version by going to the Apple menu () > About This Mac. If needed, learn how to update your Mac here: Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

Next, your screenshot indicates you aren't seeing any search results at all. If you hit enter on the keyboard after entering text in the search field in Mail, do any results appear?

Also, you mentioned you are able to see these emails on your iPhone; do you have the same email accounts added to Mail on your MacBook Pro? This link provides details about how to view your accounts and get more information: View email account information in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Additionally, you may want to keep the information below in mind when searching in Mail:

When Mail searches all mailboxes, it searches in the Trash mailbox, but not the Junk mailbox; it doesn’t search encrypted messages, either. To change these options, choose Mail > Settings, click General, then set the options at the bottom of the pane.

Have a look at this support article for more details about how to search in Mail on your Mac: Search for emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Thanks!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2023 3:05 PM in response to Becks001

Hi there Becks001,

Let's continue by making sure your MacBook Pro is running the latest software version, which is macOS Ventura 13.5.1. You can see the currently installed macOS version by going to the Apple menu () > About This Mac. If needed, learn how to update your Mac here: Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

Next, your screenshot indicates you aren't seeing any search results at all. If you hit enter on the keyboard after entering text in the search field in Mail, do any results appear?

Also, you mentioned you are able to see these emails on your iPhone; do you have the same email accounts added to Mail on your MacBook Pro? This link provides details about how to view your accounts and get more information: View email account information in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Additionally, you may want to keep the information below in mind when searching in Mail:

When Mail searches all mailboxes, it searches in the Trash mailbox, but not the Junk mailbox; it doesn’t search encrypted messages, either. To change these options, choose Mail > Settings, click General, then set the options at the bottom of the pane.

Have a look at this support article for more details about how to search in Mail on your Mac: Search for emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Thanks!

Aug 27, 2023 5:38 PM in response to Becks001

Hi Becks001,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities. If you are having issues searching for an email, here are a few steps that may be useful:

1. Restart your device to see if the issue is still there: Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support

2. Confirm that your email has not been deleted.

3. Try the steps here to see if they help: Troubleshoot email problems in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Have a great day.

Aug 28, 2023 1:26 PM in response to lexOS1

Thank you for these steps. None have worked, I know the messages are there because I can search them on my phone, find the date then scroll down to that date.

What I have noticed is when I click on the search bar my previous searches pop up.

When I start typing a new search nothing - prompts up underneath (Subject or Message). Please see attached screen images

Search Function in Mail App on MacBook Pro - Apple M1 Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.