How do I turn off the canned music in photo memories?

I get awful music with photo memories- how can I turn it off?

iPhone XR, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 26, 2023 11:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2023 2:47 AM

It cannot be disabled permanently, and we cannot change the Settings to use a less annoying backing track as a default. I am muting my iPhone before I open a memory.

We can change the music for the background music, once the Memory Video is playing, but we have to select some music. There is no "silent" option, we can only select the least annoying option. So we have to endure the background music until we find a song that we can stand in our music Library. Silencing the iPhone is the quickest method to be able to watch the memory without irritating noise right from the start.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2023 2:47 AM in response to Hedonistic-harry

It cannot be disabled permanently, and we cannot change the Settings to use a less annoying backing track as a default. I am muting my iPhone before I open a memory.

We can change the music for the background music, once the Memory Video is playing, but we have to select some music. There is no "silent" option, we can only select the least annoying option. So we have to endure the background music until we find a song that we can stand in our music Library. Silencing the iPhone is the quickest method to be able to watch the memory without irritating noise right from the start.

Aug 27, 2023 10:30 AM in response to Old Toad

I have tried that, but any song I create on my own will give the error message "Not supported". I can select any song from Apple Music, but it is hard to find any Apple Music that is perfectly silent.

Silencing the iPhone before I open the Memory movie works, but but I am getting frequently trapped into opening a Memory Movie accidentally. They are turning up everywhere as a suggsted item - on the Lock Screen, in the widgets on the Home Screen, as "For You" items in Photos, and it is not always obvious that clicking the item will make make a lot of noise and be highly embarrassing, because everyone in the same room will look daggers at me until I manage to silence the device. The least thing Apple could do would be to give us a choice, before the background music starts playing.

How do I turn off the canned music in photo memories?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.