Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Faulty logic in Apple ID password change process

Hi. My spouse changed my 11-year-old son’s Apple ID password. She cannot remember it now, and did not tell my son the password. This is a problem as we are trying to set him up on a device.

The process to change the password at I forgot.apple.com has a verification code sent to my iPhone. That works fine.

But then, the process wants me to verify my son’s icloud email address with a verification code sent to that same email address.

And that does not work fine.

Because the whole point of this process is to recover my son’s account Apple ID by changing his password. How am I supposed to retrieve a verification code from an email account that relies on the same forgotten password?

Worse yet, when you indicate you cannot use that email address to verify (because I do not have the password to set it up) you get a thank you message that says “In a moment, we’ll contact you at (my son’s @icloud.com address) to let you know when you … will be able to reset your password.”

How is that helpful when I have already indicated I cannot use that address to verify? How am I supposed to access that email account without the password?

This process seems to have faulty logic.

It seems I now have to wait 11 days to get a text at my phone with instructions on how to change the Apple ID password. Any ideas on how to get this done faster?

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 27, 2023 5:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2023 5:59 AM

We certainly understand your dilemma.

AppleIDs for children can indeed be “tricky.”

Question: Was your Son’s AppleID initially established using THIS process by your Family Organizer? :

Create an Apple ID for your child - Apple Support

3 replies

Aug 27, 2023 7:18 AM in response to heymikebeauchesne

You’re most welcome.

Read ALL device prompts carefully.

Next setup the actual device:

Always choose “This is a Child’s Device

if the option is presented.

Lastly setup Screen Time restrictions:

Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Setup Screentime - again for child’s phone - with a passcode known ONLY to you AND linked to YOUR AppleID to facilitate future recovery.

Suggest that any child have the following restrictions set:

• Restrict ability of child to change AppleID
  • Restrict ability of child to change Password
  • Restrict ability of child to change Cellular Data

These settings prevent the child from falling for many phishing attempts AND prevent the child from locking his/her parents out of the device.

Faulty logic in Apple ID password change process

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.