how to convert 32 bit photos to newer Mac systems

I have photos from my older Mac that I can not gain access to.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.0

Posted on Aug 27, 2023 12:34 PM

5 replies

Aug 28, 2023 5:51 AM in response to Backlund1985

Have you been storing your photos in iPhoto Libraries? If yes, which version of iPhoto have you used?

On macOS 13 you can import photos from iPhoto Libraries iPhotos Libraries into an existing Photos Library, unless the library has been created with iPhoto 7.x.x or earlier. Older iPhoto Libraries need to be prepared with iPhoto Library upgrader tool, and this tool can only run on macOS 10.14 or older system versions.

Even, if you can import from an old iPhoto Library, you may not be able to import photos or videos in a legacy format. The 64-bit only versions of Mac OS (since macOS 10.15 Catalina) do not support all media formats, that could be imported to iPhoto or Photos on earlier system versions. These older media should have been converted to a more compatible format while you have been running a system version that supported these formats, see for example this list for iMove: About legacy media in iMovie for macOS - Apple Support

If you do no longer have a device with a system version that could handle the old formats, you may need to use their-party software to convert the media files, for example Graphic Converter for photos and videos, or HandBrake for videos.

how to convert 32 bit photos to newer Mac systems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.