Safari quit working on iPhone running 16.6

First I stopped getting notifications from Messenger; now Safari will not work at all. I can get to internet from Google but cannot use any links in emails. I've tried the soft reset to no avail and wondered if I should reset back to factory settings. I'm concerned about erasing all my data. I have an iPhone 11 running iOS 16.6 Any advice?

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 27, 2023 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2023 4:28 PM

Hi MrsPeel,

Were you able to complete the following steps from the article If Safari isn't loading websites or quits on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch as well?

"Clear website data

You can clear website data occasionally to improve Safari performance.

1. Go to Settings > Safari.
  2. Tap Clear History and Website Data.
  3. Tap Clear History and Data to confirm.

Turn on JavaScript

Turn on JavaScript if it's not already on.

1. Go to Settings > Safari > Advanced.
  2. Find the JavaScript feature.
  3. Tap the button to turn on JavaScript.

Get more help

If the issue continues and only affects a certain website or webpage, check if you have Private Relay turned on. You can temporarily turn off Private Relay in iCloud Settings."

Other possible causes for failure to load webpages include incorrect date or time settings for your device, VPN/anti-virus/other security software restrictions, and parental controls. Details on parental control options are outlined in Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch for review. If this function previously worked it would be best to review changes to the device settings or apps that coincide with when the pages stopped loading.

Another element to check is if other data-dependent features operate as expected. For example, are you able to browse the App Store, are emails still delivering as expected, can you use Maps or Weather or any other functions that rely on a data connection?

Regards.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2023 4:28 PM in response to MrsPeel

Hi MrsPeel,

Were you able to complete the following steps from the article If Safari isn't loading websites or quits on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch as well?

"Clear website data

You can clear website data occasionally to improve Safari performance.

1. Go to Settings > Safari.
  2. Tap Clear History and Website Data.
  3. Tap Clear History and Data to confirm.

Turn on JavaScript

Turn on JavaScript if it's not already on.

1. Go to Settings > Safari > Advanced.
  2. Find the JavaScript feature.
  3. Tap the button to turn on JavaScript.

Get more help

If the issue continues and only affects a certain website or webpage, check if you have Private Relay turned on. You can temporarily turn off Private Relay in iCloud Settings."

Other possible causes for failure to load webpages include incorrect date or time settings for your device, VPN/anti-virus/other security software restrictions, and parental controls. Details on parental control options are outlined in Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch for review. If this function previously worked it would be best to review changes to the device settings or apps that coincide with when the pages stopped loading.

Another element to check is if other data-dependent features operate as expected. For example, are you able to browse the App Store, are emails still delivering as expected, can you use Maps or Weather or any other functions that rely on a data connection?

Regards.

Aug 28, 2023 2:08 PM in response to MrsPeel

Hi MrsPeel,

When you mention Google working, are you referring to the Google Chrome web browser? What exactly do you mean by Safari not working at all? We're also not sure what you're referring to by not being able to use links in emails.

What happens when you have issues? Are you getting any specific error messages on the screen? Does this happen when using both Wi-Fi and cellular data or only one or the other?

In the meantime, you may find the information here helpful: If Safari isn't loading websites or quits on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Cheers.

Aug 28, 2023 2:27 PM in response to jmarse1

I can click on the Safari icon and nothing happens. If there is a link in an email and I click on it, it will go to a blank screen which I assume is Safari, but then it just goes to my home screen. If I use the Google app to search for an answer to something, it will let me go to a website. No error messages have popped up. I tried the "soft restart'(?) where I turned off the phone and then turned it back on. I've tried using both my wifi and cellular.

Any ideas?

Safari quit working on iPhone running 16.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.