Confused

hey, my Apple Pencil just doesn’t work smoothly on iPad. I have an iPad Pro 3rd Gen and Apple Pencil 2. My pencil just make weird lines on its own while I’m writing on the screen & if I’m writing a letter there are going to be breaks between it. Can anyone please guide me on how to fix it

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Aug 27, 2023 2:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2023 4:58 AM

Clearly the Apple Pencil has successfully paired with the iPad. Inconsistent drawing will either be due to a problem with the Pencil itself, or its interaction with the iPad screen.

Ensure that the user-replaceable Pencil tip is snugly screwed into the body of the Apple Pencil; when fitted correctly you should see a tiny gap, of about the thickness of a sheet of paper, between the tip and pencil body. If slightly loosened, or overtightened, the Pencil may not work properly, if at all.

Be aware that if your iPad screen has ever been replaced by anyone other than Apple, the screen will not be properly calibrated; this situation is known to cause issues with the Pencil. Also, if the Pencil has been dropped onto its tip, or if the tip has been subjected to unnecessary force, the transducer element that its located beneath the replaceable plastic tip may have been damaged; a damaged Pencil cannot be repaired - only replaced.

If you need assistance, the technicians at the Genius Bar of your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) will be able to fully test and assess your iPad and Apple Pencil:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2023 4:58 AM in response to shaheer_

Clearly the Apple Pencil has successfully paired with the iPad. Inconsistent drawing will either be due to a problem with the Pencil itself, or its interaction with the iPad screen.

Ensure that the user-replaceable Pencil tip is snugly screwed into the body of the Apple Pencil; when fitted correctly you should see a tiny gap, of about the thickness of a sheet of paper, between the tip and pencil body. If slightly loosened, or overtightened, the Pencil may not work properly, if at all.

Be aware that if your iPad screen has ever been replaced by anyone other than Apple, the screen will not be properly calibrated; this situation is known to cause issues with the Pencil. Also, if the Pencil has been dropped onto its tip, or if the tip has been subjected to unnecessary force, the transducer element that its located beneath the replaceable plastic tip may have been damaged; a damaged Pencil cannot be repaired - only replaced.

If you need assistance, the technicians at the Genius Bar of your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) will be able to fully test and assess your iPad and Apple Pencil:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Aug 27, 2023 3:30 PM in response to shaheer_

Try force restarting your iPad. To do this follow these steps:

1. Quickly press and release the Volume Up Button
  2. Quickly press and release the Volume Down Button
  3. Press and hold the Siri/Lock button until you see the Apple Logo

If you see the slider to turn power off, just ignore this and continue to hold down the Siri/Lock button until you see the screen turn off and the Apple Logo appear on the screen. Once you see the Apple Logo, you can release the button and allow the iPad to continue to boot as it would normally. Once it’s up, try again and see if this fixes your situation. If that doesn’t work, I would recommend trying the pencil on another device if you can and if you can’t, schedule an appointment at a Genius Bar at an Apple Store or take it to an Apple Authorized Repair Center and have them take a look at it. They can help determine if there is something else that could be going on or if it needs to be taken further and let you know what your next steps are.

Confused

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.