If I do an "Restore your device to factory settings" to my iPad, will it jeapordize what I have on my Mac and my iPhone?

I'm trying to transfer my iPad to my daughter by wiping the iPad that's under my name. However that iPad is currently also linked to my iPhone and my Mac. I do NOT want to wipe my iPhone nor my Mac. I want those two devices to stay as they are, in my name, and with all the files protected. I only want the iPad wiped.

Can I wipe an iPad linked to my other devices without affecting the other devices, nor affecting my iCloud account?

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Aug 27, 2023 11:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2023 2:03 AM

If you follow the correct process, the iPad can be prepared for reuse by someone else without impacting data of any of your other devices (such as your Mac computer or iPhone) that are signed-in to iCloud with the same AppleID.

If instead you attempt manual deletion of data or files, manual deletion may be synchronised to other devices - which is clearly the scenario that you wish to avoid.

So as to prepare your iPad for use by your daughter, follow this procedure:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

This process will properly erase the iPad, in so doing removing all sensitive and personal data. The existing Activation Lock will also be removed as this will otherwise cause difficulties.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2023 2:03 AM in response to brunoboris

If you follow the correct process, the iPad can be prepared for reuse by someone else without impacting data of any of your other devices (such as your Mac computer or iPhone) that are signed-in to iCloud with the same AppleID.

If instead you attempt manual deletion of data or files, manual deletion may be synchronised to other devices - which is clearly the scenario that you wish to avoid.

So as to prepare your iPad for use by your daughter, follow this procedure:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

This process will properly erase the iPad, in so doing removing all sensitive and personal data. The existing Activation Lock will also be removed as this will otherwise cause difficulties.

If I do an "Restore your device to factory settings" to my iPad, will it jeapordize what I have on my Mac and my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.