I moved photos from my MacBook Air to an external drive and lost a lot of them

I moved photos library from macbook air HD to external drive. Now last two years are missing. Where are they? How can I find them?

[Re-titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air (M2, 2022)

Posted on Aug 28, 2023 7:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2023 11:42 AM

You may want to check, if your external drive is compatible with Photos. If the external drive is not compatible, Photos may be opening some older library instead of your move library.

Any external drive to be used with Photos needs to be prepared as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Most important:

• The file system format needs to be MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS
  • The drive needs a wired connection; it must not be accessed over the local network.
  • The external drive must not be used for Time Machine backups.

You can see. if Photos is using the correct library, if you look at the Photos > Preferences > General. At the top of the panel the path to the library is shown.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2023 11:42 AM in response to rmprinstein

You may want to check, if your external drive is compatible with Photos. If the external drive is not compatible, Photos may be opening some older library instead of your move library.

Any external drive to be used with Photos needs to be prepared as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Most important:

• The file system format needs to be MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS
  • The drive needs a wired connection; it must not be accessed over the local network.
  • The external drive must not be used for Time Machine backups.

You can see. if Photos is using the correct library, if you look at the Photos > Preferences > General. At the top of the panel the path to the library is shown.

I moved photos from my MacBook Air to an external drive and lost a lot of them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.