How to change the watch face on my Apple Watch?

Lately, my Apple Watch has been displaying a watch face that is not one I've chosen. I have to hit the crown in order to get my set face(s). Cannot figure out why this is happening. Could it be a glitch with a recent update? If so, what can be done?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple Watch SE, watchOS 9

Posted on Aug 28, 2023 10:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2023 12:46 AM

If all settings normal but behaviour is irrational there is a progressive hierarchy of  remedies.

Hopefully you will not need to go to the end of the list!

Before venturing forth, make sure you are not using App Store VPN or VPN based adblockers or security apps on the iPhone. They can wreak havoc and protect nothing. (Check Settings, General, VPN & Device Management for profiles)  Your employer corporate VPN should not cause problems but it might.

Start basic diagnostics by force restarting the Watch and paired iPhone at the same time:-

Force restart the Watch

i.e. press and hold both the side button and Digital Crown for at least 10 seconds, then release both buttons when you see the Apple logo. 

Then while Watch is restarting, force Restart the paired iphone   Force restart iPhone – Apple Support (UK) 

Test it for a suitable period depending on the nature of the problem.

If it is still misbehaving...

Unpair and set up again, takes about 20 minutes.

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch – Apple Support (UK) 

Set up your Apple Watch – Apple Support (UK) 

If no remedy, unpair again and setup without restoring the backup. You will lose little except Faces and some settings.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2023 12:46 AM in response to JPwest13

If all settings normal but behaviour is irrational there is a progressive hierarchy of  remedies.

Hopefully you will not need to go to the end of the list!

Before venturing forth, make sure you are not using App Store VPN or VPN based adblockers or security apps on the iPhone. They can wreak havoc and protect nothing. (Check Settings, General, VPN & Device Management for profiles)  Your employer corporate VPN should not cause problems but it might.

Start basic diagnostics by force restarting the Watch and paired iPhone at the same time:-

Force restart the Watch

i.e. press and hold both the side button and Digital Crown for at least 10 seconds, then release both buttons when you see the Apple logo. 

Then while Watch is restarting, force Restart the paired iphone   Force restart iPhone – Apple Support (UK) 

Test it for a suitable period depending on the nature of the problem.

If it is still misbehaving...

Unpair and set up again, takes about 20 minutes.

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch – Apple Support (UK) 

Set up your Apple Watch – Apple Support (UK) 

If no remedy, unpair again and setup without restoring the backup. You will lose little except Faces and some settings.

Aug 30, 2023 8:20 AM in response to LD150

Thank you for your help.

I tried the force restart on watch and phone. Unfortunately, it did not work. Still have this unknown face that pops up first.

Not sure I will go to the unpair and erase step. The unpair might not be a bad idea, but at the moment am figuring out how to do that seeing as the phone is directing me to the watch for this.

TBH, the erase scares me.

How to change the watch face on my Apple Watch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.