Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect Macbook Air with broken screen to iMac using cable?

I have a Macbook Air M1 2021 which the display stopped working. Rest works fine. I also have an iMac 24 5K. Can I use iMac as monitor with a thunderbolt cable? Will it work when I can’t access Macbook Air? Is it just plug and play?

Posted on Aug 28, 2023 9:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2023 10:11 PM

I'm not sure whether you're talking about a 24" M1 iMac, with a 4.5K Retina screen, or a 27" Intel iMac, with a 5K Retina one. Either way, none of those iMacs support use as a monitor for another computer.

8 replies

Aug 28, 2023 10:52 PM in response to Neguah

There are a lot of standalone monitors that you can attach to that Mac, using cables to go from USB-C (DisplayPort) on the computer end to USB-C (DisplayPort), DP, Mini DP, or HDMI on the monitor end. A HDTV or Ultra HDTV with HDMI input could serve as a monitor, in a pinch.

The Mac will probably recognize and use an external monitor right off, but you may run into the issue that the menu bar and Dock are still on the broken internal screen. I am not sure how you cross that bridge.

Aug 29, 2023 2:08 AM in response to Neguah

I don't think you're going to find any devices that actually are Thunderbolt-to-HDMI adapters – not counting Thunderbolt docks. USB-C (DisplayPort) can handle resolutions up to UHD 4K. Apple likes to emphasize the Thunderbolt aspect of their USB-C ports, and third-party vendors like to go to lengths to emphasize that their USB-C products will work with Macs. So they play up Thunderbolt compatibility even if their products are not Thunderbolt products per se.

As far as USB-C to HDMI adapters, if you're connecting to a Ultra HD TV, or are thinking of reusing the adapter down the line with a 4K monitor, be sure to get one that's advertised to handle 4K.

Sep 1, 2023 10:00 AM in response to Servant of Cats

Used an external monitor, and I got the same respons on the external as on the MacBook. You can see there is power to the screen, but it is dark blue. Barely noticeable. But clearly noticeable when turning the Mac on and off.

The Mac is broken, clearly, and it cheaper to buy a new one. So, I have decided to investigate this my self - and learn something from it as well. So, any idea what is damage from the water? Graphic card? Is that the card giving "life" to the screen? It is clearly some level of life to the screen, but impossible to use.

Connect Macbook Air with broken screen to iMac using cable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.