Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Pages (v13.1) won't select default printer

On Monterey 12.6.8 System preferences where changed to different printer a while ago, system was rebooted and shut down and restarted several times since. Still Pages 13.1 won't show the new default printer in the print dialogue for pre-existing documents, only for new ones the correct default printer is chosen. Is this a bug or a feature?

Thx.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Aug 28, 2023 10:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2023 6:44 AM

In System Preferences : Printers and Scanners panel : Printers, right-click on the printer you want to be the default printer and on the secondary menu, make it the default printer. That printer should then become the default printer shown in the Pages Document panel.

Since I don't have multiple printers here, I cannot test if Pages stores the default printer information with the individual document. I doubt it because then if the Pages document were emailed, or shared with someone at a different physical location, they would not have the same printer.

Even if you did not perform the first paragraph, the Pages Print… panel should give you the list of available printers from which to select the printed content.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2023 6:44 AM in response to jhabicht

In System Preferences : Printers and Scanners panel : Printers, right-click on the printer you want to be the default printer and on the secondary menu, make it the default printer. That printer should then become the default printer shown in the Pages Document panel.

Since I don't have multiple printers here, I cannot test if Pages stores the default printer information with the individual document. I doubt it because then if the Pages document were emailed, or shared with someone at a different physical location, they would not have the same printer.

Even if you did not perform the first paragraph, the Pages Print… panel should give you the list of available printers from which to select the printed content.

Mar 7, 2024 7:15 AM in response to VikingOSX

I have the same problem as the original post. I have three printers that I use depending on which location (I work from 2 locations and have 2 printers in the primary location (P1 and P2) and 1 in another in the alternate location (A1)). When I select printer A1 when I arrive at my alternate location as the default printer in System settings, it appears to accept the change indicating printer A1 is now the default with a green bubble.

However, when I attempt to print a document in Pages it thinks P1 is the default and I have to manually select the A1 from the print menu drop down. I have attempted to set A1 as the default using System settings many times, rebooting, etc and the same problem occurs.

Pages (v13.1) won't select default printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.