Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Magic Mouse recently not as responsive on mousepads

I'm having recent trouble with my Magic Mouse. It seems sluggish and does not respond well on various mousepads (I've tried three different pads). It hesitates as I drag it from side to side, and gets jumpy.

The odd thing is, I can put the mouse directly on my wooden desktop, and it moves exactly like it is supposed to. I have a custom made desk, with a hand rubbed finish... so moving the mouse constantly on the desk is not ideal. It's starting to rub away the finish. I put the mouse back on any of the three pads, and it is instantly sluggish.

Any thoughts?

iMac 21.5″

Posted on Aug 29, 2023 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 10:28 AM

It's the same mousepad I've been using for a year, and it has worked flawlessly. It suddenly just had something to do with the mouse itself that has changed. When I bought the mousepad a year ago it was BOGO, so I opened the new one... no change in the sluggishness. Move the mouse over to my wooden desk top, works fine. Put it back on the black mousepad (new one and old one) sluggish.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2023 10:28 AM in response to DerekM87

It's the same mousepad I've been using for a year, and it has worked flawlessly. It suddenly just had something to do with the mouse itself that has changed. When I bought the mousepad a year ago it was BOGO, so I opened the new one... no change in the sluggishness. Move the mouse over to my wooden desk top, works fine. Put it back on the black mousepad (new one and old one) sluggish.

Aug 31, 2023 12:13 PM in response to gsyrba

Hi gsyrba,

You can see tips on changing your mouse tracking and sensitivity using the tips here:

Adjusting the sensitivity of the mouse when on the mousepad may address the behavior.

It is also possible the surface of the mouse pad also is interfering with the sensor on the bottom of the mouse, are the mousepads dark in color, or have any sort of elaborate design? If so, try a plain dark colored mousepad and see if performance improves.

Cheers!

Sep 12, 2023 10:53 AM in response to gsyrba

Hey gsyrba,

Thanks for that update. One thing you can try is to boot using safe mode and see if the issue persists. This article has the steps to test.

"Start up your Mac with Apple silicon in safe mode

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > Shut Down.
  2. Wait for your Mac to shut down completely. A Mac is completely shut down when the screen is black and any lights (including in the Touch Bar) are off.
  3. Press and hold the power button on your Mac until “Loading startup options” appears.
  4. Select a volume.
  5. Press and hold the Shift key, then click Continue in Safe Mode.
  6. The computer restarts automatically. When the login window appears, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

Start up your Intel-based Mac in safe mode

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key until you see the login window.
  2. Log in to your Mac.
  3. You might be asked to log in again.
  4. On either the first or second login window, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar."

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Please don't hesitate to let us know if you need additional assistance.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Have a good one.

Apr 2, 2024 11:43 AM in response to gsyrba

Did you ever find a solution for this. I have had the exact same problem with two previous magic mouses. One of them Amazon replaced for free, and then next I had to purchase a new one. I use a "wool" mousepad from Groovemade (https://grovemade.com/product/wool-felt-desk-pad/?initial=346) and it works flawlessly for almost a year and then the reaction of the mouse goes completely haywire. Non responsive, or moves wayyy too quickly.

When I use on the wood desk no problem. When I use my battery apple mouse works flawlessly.

Magic Mouse recently not as responsive on mousepads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.