Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Why am I being charged to download free apps?

I just opened this phone again, I signed into my Apple ID on this phone and it’s asking for a payment method. I put my card in and it’s trying to charge me 6 dollars. I understand that it’s peacock that it’s trying to charge me for but I’ve already paid my peacock. It’s frustrating that I’ve broken my other phone and when I sign back into this one, I can’t download my apps due to this. Why would I pay for peacock 2 times?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 29, 2023 11:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2023 4:14 PM

This isn’t helpful. It doesn’t answer the question directly

8 replies

Aug 29, 2023 11:25 AM in response to charly278

You can download free apps, but you may need to have a valid payment method on file, even if the app you want to download is free. 

Free apps has also In-app pruchase.

See -> Buy additional app features with in-app purchases and subscriptions

Buy additional app features with in-app purchases and subscriptions

See also -> Apple Media Services Terms and Conditions

Legal - Apple Media Services - Apple

If you have received an invoice from Apple, on every invoice from the Apple Store and/or iTunes Store always states what you have purchased (and/or concerns a subscription) and the amount.

Tap on Report a problem on the invoice.

Or try to ->  Request a refund for apps or content that you bought from Apple.

Request a refund for apps or content you've bought from Apple – Apple Support (UK)

If you have requested a refund, you must wait until Apple has approved. Then you will receive a message from Apple.

Refunds are not guaranteed. For more information, see the Terms & Conditions.

Jan 2, 2024 1:39 PM in response to Endless2323

check you haven't subscribed to the same service twice, once through Apple and a second time directly with the service provider. E.g., Join Apple Music on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, or PC - Join Apple Music - Apple Support - "Make sure to join Apple Music through either Apple or your mobile phone service provider, so that you're not charged by both."

Click on this link to read what to do "If you see ‘itunes.com/bill‘ or an unfamiliar charge on your bank, credit card, or debit statement" --> If you don't recognize a charge - Apple Support Note, if you are a Family Sharing organizer, purchases or subscriptions made by another family member may be charged to your card but will not appear under your purchase history or subscriptions. Ask family members about those or check the email receipts Apple sends you for any purchase charged to your Apple Account.

If you need further assistance contact Apple; start here --> Billing & Subscriptions --> https://getsupport.apple.com/?PGF=PGF63006

Why am I being charged to download free apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.