Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

What happens when I turn off iCloud Photos?

If I sync my picture with iCloud. Do they also get backed up in the the back up? If I turn it off what happens to the pictures in the iCloud and the iPhone.

Posted on Aug 29, 2023 1:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2023 1:27 PM

Juaresca wrote:

If I sync my picture with iCloud. Do they also get backed up in the the back up?

No. If iCloud Photos are turned on, then the photos are synced to iCloud and not included in the backup. Its one of the other.

If I turn it off what happens to the pictures in the iCloud and the iPhone.

Nothing. Photos in both your iPhone and iCloud remain as they are, however no new photos will be synced to icloud from the iPhone and you won't be able to access photos synced to iCloud from another device after you turn off the option on your iPhone.

Basically turning off the option just severs the connection, but does nothing to the photos in either location.

The backup will then start including the photos at that point.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2023 1:27 PM in response to Juaresca

Juaresca wrote:

If I sync my picture with iCloud. Do they also get backed up in the the back up?

No. If iCloud Photos are turned on, then the photos are synced to iCloud and not included in the backup. Its one of the other.

If I turn it off what happens to the pictures in the iCloud and the iPhone.

Nothing. Photos in both your iPhone and iCloud remain as they are, however no new photos will be synced to icloud from the iPhone and you won't be able to access photos synced to iCloud from another device after you turn off the option on your iPhone.

Basically turning off the option just severs the connection, but does nothing to the photos in either location.

The backup will then start including the photos at that point.

What happens when I turn off iCloud Photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.