Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Erasing M1 PowerBook Pro with Big Sur. Get error when reinstalling OS

MacBook Pro 13", M1, 2020

8GB memory

MacOS 11.2.3

I wish to erase this computer and reset it back to it was when new.

I held down the power button and selected to erase the hard drive, which seemed to go well.

Then in Recovery program selected "Reinstall macOS Big Sur". Hit continue a few times, selected English, agreed to the license, and selected the hard drive.

Then I get the error "no users available for authorization" - "An error occurred while reading device owners. Ensure that some user is allowed to administer this computer."

The only option at this time is to select "Quit" which puts me back to the "Recovery" program.

I rebooted and tried Disc Utility a second time, erased the disk, then tried to reinstall the OS. I keep getting the same error. "Quit" is the only option.

The PowerBook is connected to the Internet through wifi.

I have the user name and password for the previous owner, which got me this far.

Any thoughts?

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Aug 29, 2023 4:43 PM

Similar questions

12 replies

Aug 29, 2023 5:48 PM in response to Barnabas

Barnabas Said:

"Erasing M1 PowerBook Pro with Big Sur. Get error when reinstalling OS: The computer belonged to my recently deceased wife. I backed up her data to an external hard drive, and would like to use the computer myself. Hoping someone here might be able to help."

-------

In addition to my previous reply.

Apple Support Contact Us Info:

• Contact Us - Choose Locations
  • Proceed from there as necessary
  • Note: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

Aug 29, 2023 6:15 PM in response to Barnabas

Barnabas Said:

"Erasing M1 PowerBook Pro with Big Sur. Get error when reinstalling OS: She had her own computer user name and password, as well as Apple ID. I have all of that information. At this point in the process, I see no place to enter any of her information. 'Quit' is the only option."

-------

About Getting Access to here Account Data:

As of this reply, Apple IDs cannot be merged --and with good reason. So, once you get access to her account info, you then can access it. So, get access to her Apple ID purchases, by contacting Apple in regards to this being deceased Family Member's Apple ID: See here: How to Request Access to a Deceased Family Member's Apple Account - Apple Support

As for what to do...

Reinstall the macOS Anew:

If there is not concern for loss of data, just format it anew. Elsewise, you are reinstalling the macOS, and that(in essence) does nothing for you, being it is under her Apple Account, and not yours. Note that an Apple ID is no more than an eMail Address. So, do you have access to log in to her eMail Account? So, what you need to do is erase the drive in Disk Utility. Then, format it as APFS type. Next, perform the installation through a USB Bootable Installer. See my User Tip: How to Reinstall the macOS Anew - No TMB Prior to Upgrade - User Tip. Format the hard drive with the applicable macOS, on step D.

In Depth:

Pretty much, it is a matter of:

1. Erasing: and formatting your hard drive to APFS
  2. Installing: [the applicable macOS] via a USB Bootable Installer
  3. Restoring: info from a Time Machine Backup, using Migration Assistant

Aug 29, 2023 5:04 PM in response to Barnabas

Barnabas Said:

"Erasing M1 PowerBook Pro with Big Sur. Get error when reinstalling OS: [...]I have the user name and password for the previous owner, which got me this far.[...]"

------

Troubleshooting Used Mac's Format:

Take this back to the seller. This is the site the sell should have used, prior to selling it to you. What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, Trade in, or Recycle your Mac - Apple Support. The seller should have known better.

Aug 29, 2023 5:48 PM in response to Barnabas

Barnabas Said:

"Erasing M1 PowerBook Pro with Big Sur. Get error when reinstalling OS: The computer belonged to my recently deceased wife. I backed up her data to an external hard drive, and would like to use the computer myself. Hoping someone here might be able to help."

-------

Get Access to her Account and Devices:

Ask Apple for Assistance:

Sorry to hear for the loss. So, is there an Apple Account under her own name that this Mac is assigned to? Or were you both using the same Apple Account (which is unwise to do, due to misconfigurations occurring)? What you need to do is get access to her Apple Account info, being she's a deceased family member. Then, perform the reset that way. Contact Apple Support: How to Request Access to a Deceased Family Member's Apple Account - Apple Support

Continue to my following reply.

Aug 29, 2023 6:41 PM in response to Barnabas

Barnabas Siad:

"I'm hoping to move the data from my old computer to start using my wife's computer. My old computer has macOS 10.11.6 installed, so it will not let me download the Big Sur. I'll find someone with a newer computer, so I can download the Big Sur and put it on a USB drive. If all else fails, I can always make an appointment at the Apple Store."

-------

About Transferring Data to a Different Mac:

Create a Time Machine Backup of your Mac, and then use Migration Assistant to transfer you Mac's info, on to her Mac. If you need to transfer application, then contact the Developer, inform them that you need a new key for this new install.

Aug 29, 2023 6:23 PM in response to Barnabas

Barnabas Said:

"Erasing M1 PowerBook Pro with Big Sur. Get error when reinstalling OS: The new information you present is to install the OS with a USB bootable installer rather than the Recovery program that Apple has suggested. I'll look into that."

-------

Using USB Bootable Installer:

That is a way to get a direct new install, and not having to doing so through the Internet.

Keep us up to date.

Aug 29, 2023 6:32 PM in response to TheLittles

I'm hoping to move the data from my old computer to start using my wife's computer. My old computer has macOS 10.11.6 installed, so it will not let me download the Big Sur. I'll find someone with a newer computer, so I can download the Big Sur and put it on a USB drive.

If all else fails, I can always make an appointment at the Apple Store.

Aug 30, 2023 11:10 AM in response to Barnabas

Barnabas Said:

"Erasing M1 PowerBook Pro with Big Sur. Get error when reinstalling OS: The online Apple chat solved the problem. When in Disk Utility, I needed to not only erase the Macintosh HD, but also a drive called Data. When I did that, the OS install went like it should.

———-

Expected that the entire hard drive was erased.

Excellent job troubleshooting.

Erasing M1 PowerBook Pro with Big Sur. Get error when reinstalling OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.