How to recover data from broken MacBook Air before trade in?

My MacBook Air screen is broken and I plan to purchase a new MacBook Air and trade in the broken one, how can I recover my data from the hard drive of the old MacBook before trading it in ?

Posted on Aug 29, 2023 4:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2023 4:27 PM

dania271 Said:

"How to recover data from broken MacBook Air before trade in?: My MacBook Air screen is broken and I plan to purchase a new MacBook Air and trade in the broken one, how can I recover my data from the hard drive of the old MacBook before trading it in ?"

-------

Recovering Data with no Screen:

Connect an external display to your Mac, and then create a Time Machine Backup. On the new Mac, you'd use Migration Assistant to migrate whatever is possible from the Time Machine Backup.

When Connected, try Mirroring the Screen with the Keyboard:

• No Touch Bar: [Hold Down: command + Press: F1]
  • With a Tech Bar: [Hold Down: command + Press: dim display on the Touch Bar]
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2023 4:27 PM in response to dania271

dania271 Said:

"How to recover data from broken MacBook Air before trade in?: My MacBook Air screen is broken and I plan to purchase a new MacBook Air and trade in the broken one, how can I recover my data from the hard drive of the old MacBook before trading it in ?"

-------

Recovering Data with no Screen:

Connect an external display to your Mac, and then create a Time Machine Backup. On the new Mac, you'd use Migration Assistant to migrate whatever is possible from the Time Machine Backup.

When Connected, try Mirroring the Screen with the Keyboard:

• No Touch Bar: [Hold Down: command + Press: F1]
  • With a Tech Bar: [Hold Down: command + Press: dim display on the Touch Bar]

How to recover data from broken MacBook Air before trade in?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.