Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

getting a virus warning from McAfee

I have suddenly started getting a virus warning from McAfee on my Mac. It appears for just a few seconds coming from the top right corner.

I do not use McAfee.

I am attaching a screenshot of the warning (I finally caught it after multiple attempts, it disappears quickly)

I'm not sure what to do. Have I been hacked?

Terry

iMac 27″

Posted on Aug 29, 2023 5:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2023 7:24 AM

apples_aregreat wrote:

Have you tried using CleanMyMac's "Malware Removal" option under the Protection tab?

CleanMyMac is pretty close to being malware itself. It is not necessary and frequently causes problems. Also, as MrHoffman noted, the problem here is not malware so any kind of "malware removal" would not resolve the issue.

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2023 7:24 AM in response to apples_aregreat

apples_aregreat wrote:

Have you tried using CleanMyMac's "Malware Removal" option under the Protection tab?

CleanMyMac is pretty close to being malware itself. It is not necessary and frequently causes problems. Also, as MrHoffman noted, the problem here is not malware so any kind of "malware removal" would not resolve the issue.

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

Aug 29, 2023 6:55 PM in response to lostnovice___

Hello Terry.

Also, try following Apple's guide on stopping notifications: Turn off notifications for an app or website on Mac - Apple Support

If you hover over the notification, do you get an option to stop sending the notifications? If so, you can click that.

Aug 29, 2023 7:19 PM in response to lostnovice___

lostnovice___ wrote:

Thank you so much for your reply, I also use clean my Mac X but it hasn’t seemed to eliminated this particular irritating situation.

This is not malware.

It’s an advertisement, using a notification you were offered somewhere, and had accepted.

To remove the notification, see: Stop unwanted Notifications - Apple Community

Cleaning and anti-malware are built-in, and add-on security and cleaning apps—other than end-to-end VPNs and end-point security, where those tools are applicable—are generally unnecessary. Variously these tools can be problematic, too.

Aug 30, 2023 7:37 AM in response to apples_aregreat

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS,  is an invitation for disaster. 

Certain Applications maybe available on the Apple Apps Store - this only means the Developer is prepared to pay Apple a portion on each sale.

What the Application may do to the computer is up to the User to check this out before purchase

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions 

1 - Disk Cleaner 

This will include CleanMyMac , aka “ BrickMyMac

➡️ Read some of the posting and arrive at your own conclusions. ⬅️

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Aug 29, 2023 6:10 PM in response to lostnovice___

Hello, Terry.

Unwanted pop-up notifications on your Mac may be a sign of malware (malicious software), which is disguised as McAFee. I would advise downloading a third party antivirus provider from the App Store (I use CleanMyMac X, however you can use any antivirus that you'd like.)

Make sure to back up your Mac in case this malware spreads and further damages your Mac.

If you need any help or have a question, feel free to let me know.

getting a virus warning from McAfee

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.