📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

usb-c to lan adapter not working on MacBook Pro 2018

I had several of these working, something glitched out and now none of them work. I cannot get any level of networking over the usb-c dongles. The lights light up Green/orange on adapter light up/blink In Network settings, put on DHCP, I get a self assigned IP. If I then set it up manually I do get the green dot in the system panel, indicated all is connected, but I do not get data In System report, under hardware I have the USB 3.1 and under one of them I see the Realtek lan adapter or any other similar device I connect. NO usb networking works. I normally was able to ping my local interface but with a self signed interface it still cannot ping. Any thoughts on what I am missing here? wifi works fine but I use my mac versatily to troubleshoot all manner of networking problems.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Aug 30, 2023 9:33 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Aug 30, 2023 10:01 AM in response to Boboinmo

You should be able to ping your Router. That is where your 'real' DHCP-generated IP address must come from.

'self-assigned IP address' should be ready literally. You gave that pseudo-random address to yourself, for internal identification, so the Router knows were to send your good local IP address. When you are stuck with self assigned IP address read, "nobody will talk to me".

usb-c to lan adapter not working on MacBook Pro 2018

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.