Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Moving Photos Library to new iMac

Hi - I’m about to purchase a new iMac, replacing my (ancient!) iMac from 2011. I have backed everything up with Time Machine. However when I get my new computer, I don’t want everything from Time Machine migrated. I only want to be able to access the photos in the Photos Library and, if possible, also save and use the Minecraft worlds from my old iMac. I want to start fresh for everything else. Will this be possible?

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Aug 30, 2023 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2023 6:00 AM

To move your Photos Library from the old Mac to the new Mac I would copy it to an external drive, then copy it from the external drive to your new Mac. Do not use the Time Machine drive for this. It would create problems with the file ownership on your new Mac.

To avoid problems with the file ownership it is best to use an external drive with the option "Ignore ownership on this volume" set. This flag cannot be enabled on a Time Machine volume. How to set up the external drive is described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2023 6:00 AM in response to LisaG_onMac

To move your Photos Library from the old Mac to the new Mac I would copy it to an external drive, then copy it from the external drive to your new Mac. Do not use the Time Machine drive for this. It would create problems with the file ownership on your new Mac.

To avoid problems with the file ownership it is best to use an external drive with the option "Ignore ownership on this volume" set. This flag cannot be enabled on a Time Machine volume. How to set up the external drive is described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Aug 30, 2023 2:24 PM in response to LisaG_onMac

Hi LisaG_onMac,

To move over the photos library to a new Mac:

1. Move the photos library to your new Mac. By default, it's in the Pictures folder (if you don't see it, press Shift-Command-G on your old Mac, then type ~/Pictures, then move Photos Library.photoslibrary)
  2. Open Photos on the new Mac, then go to FileImport or press Shift-Command-I, then select the photos library.
  3. Review photos, then click Import.

For your Minecraft worlds:

1. Press Shift-Command-G, then type ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft.
  2. Open the folder, then move everything in the saves folder to the new Mac. You can also move over resourcepacks and screenshots.
  3. Install Minecraft on the new Mac, then run it for at least once.
  4. Press Shift-Command-G, then type ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft again on the new Mac.
  5. Move the folders over to the minecraft folder.

If that didn't work, let me know with your macOS version.

Hope that helps!

Aug 30, 2023 2:55 PM in response to LisaG_onMac

Do you have a Time Machine backup of your old 2011 Mac? If you do connect it to the new iMac and then turn it on for the first time. During the setup it will ask you if you want to bring over your user data and from where. Select yes and Time Machine and it will copy all of your user files, settings, apps (that will work on the new iMac), etc.

Note: any 32 bit application that you have on your 2011 iMac will not work on the new iMac. Use the free GO64 app to see which of your apps will and will not work on the new iMac. You'll need to get updated versions that are 64 bit apps or alternative apps.

Moving Photos Library to new iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.