Is there any way to turn off an activation lock on an Apple Watch without the previous owner?

I found an Apple Watch at my gym. I turned it into the office and they looked for the owner, posting on Facebook etc. after about six months, they still couldn’t find the owner and told me that I could have it. Only thing is there’s the activation lock so I can’t use it :(

iPhone XR, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 30, 2023 3:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2023 6:35 PM

Activation Lock is designed to prevent anyone else from using an Apple Watch if it's ever lost or stolen.

About Activation Lock on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Activation Lock is an anti-theft feature that cannot be bypassed. Only the previous owner can remove the lock by using their Apple ID & password. Apple will not help you find the previous owner. If the previous owner cannot or will not remove the lock, then the watch is useless to you or anyone else. Dispose of the watch properly.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2023 6:35 PM in response to Retraco6

Activation Lock is designed to prevent anyone else from using an Apple Watch if it's ever lost or stolen.

About Activation Lock on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Activation Lock is an anti-theft feature that cannot be bypassed. Only the previous owner can remove the lock by using their Apple ID & password. Apple will not help you find the previous owner. If the previous owner cannot or will not remove the lock, then the watch is useless to you or anyone else. Dispose of the watch properly.

Is there any way to turn off an activation lock on an Apple Watch without the previous owner?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.