Problems with external SSD on iMac late 2014

Since my internal SSD drive died, I acquired an external M.2 drive with an enclosure and connected it to one of the USB 3 ports in my iMac. I made the drive bootable and restored from Time Machine. The internal HDD is also a boot drive.

The problems are:

• Sporadic crashes, with kernel panics, sometimes no problems for days, sometimes several times a day
  • The only way of booting from the external drive is by holding the ALT key, even if the system reports that drive as the Boot Drive. Also, regardless of whether I press the key or not, the system takes around a minute just waiting till it decides to boot. Every time the SSD external drive shows up as the "default" boot in the drive picker interface.
  • Whenever I restart the computer, it will always go for the HDD, regardless of if I hold the ALT key. The only way of having it boot from the external SSD is by shutting down.
  • When the system goes through one of the panics, I can do two things: force shutdown by holding the power button or go into HDD world and shutdown from there.
  • When I run bless -getboot from a terminal I do get the SSD back if I'm on the SSD World. In the HDD world sometimes I get it right (SSD) but sometimes I get an error of device not present or something like that but if I unplug and replug the drive it will show it as the boot device if I run it again
  • This is the output from bless -getboot --verbose (now having boot off the external SSD):

EFI found at IODeviceTree:/efi

Current EFI boot device string is: '<array><dict><key>IOMatch</key><dict><key>IOProviderClass</key><string>IOMedia</string><key>IOPropertyMatch</key><dict><key>UUID</key><string>E04A2FD9-A2CC-4171-8FB3-02D039A0C0C9</string></dict></dict><key>BLLastBSDName</key><string>disk4s3</string></dict><dict><key>IOEFIDevicePathType</key><string>MediaFilePath</string><key>Path</key><string>\FA2D3468-BB07-4F33-8263-CA72573F0308\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi</string></dict></array>'

Boot option is 8BE4DF61-93CA-11D2-AA0D-00E098032B8C:Boot0080

Processing boot option 'Mac OS X'

Boot option matches XML representation

Found device: disk4s3

Disk boot device detected

Detected APFS volume.  Skipping Boot!=Root check.

No auxiliary booter partition required

System partition found

Preferred system partition found: disk0s1

Returning booter information dictionary:

{

"Auxiliary Partitions" =     (

);

"Data Partitions" =     (

disk4s3

);

"Preboot Volumes" =     (

disk4s3

);

"System Partitions" =     (

disk0s1,

disk3s1

);

}

/dev/disk4s3 is a preboot volume

Substituting found system volume /dev/disk4s2

/dev/disk4s2

• The kernel panics always involve something like along the lines of a page fault:
  • panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff80143c1596): Kernel trap at 0xffffff8015c786b7, type 14=page fault, registers:

• My hypothesis is that for some reason the drive "goes away" and hence the crash
  • Lastly if I plug the drive on my MacBookPro none of this happens, boots are really quick and have never got the behaviour. Having said that I don't use it as much as the iMac

What do you think? What can I try to sort it out?

I have thought about putting the drive inside, with an adapter, but it's a complex endeavour.

A different, semi-unrelated question. I had thought about connecting to the TB2 port but it's impossible to find cables (should be USBC to TB2). The apple one won't work as I need "male" connections both sides. I think there is an option to buy a male-male TB2 but that would make the combination ridiculously expensive.

Many thanks!

Posted on Aug 31, 2023 2:11 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Aug 31, 2023 4:30 AM in response to arturop_

This is a Late 2014 27" iMac that you are working on?

Identify your iMac model - Apple Support

1)

If it is the 27" model, then what RAM modules do you currently have installed in it?

Mac's are very RAM sensitive and anything except for Mac compatible RAM with the correct spec's can cause delayed booting and that type of page fault.

As a test, remove any aftermarket RAM modules and test it with only the original factory RAM modules.

Then consider upgrading the RAM with Mac compatible modules from a trusted supplier like OWC or Crucial.

2)

When the SSD part of the Fusion Drive failed, it sounds like the internal HDD was reformatted and then macOS was reinstalled on it.

If that was the case, then what you are seeing is the expected internal versus external boot behavior.

As a test, copy any important user data from the HDD to another external drive, erase the internal HDD and do not install macOS on the internal HDD.

Basically setup the internal HDD up like an external drive and use it for extra storage space and/or backup.

Aug 31, 2023 4:42 AM in response to den.thed

Thanks a lot for your answer!

Yes it is a Late 2014 27" iMac: iMac 15,1

1) RAM have never changed it. I have the original modules 16GB in 2x8GB

2) Yes I had to reformat. I have thought about doing what you say but it freaks me out (irrational). What I have seen is that when I formatted the external SSD I didn't select an option to set up a GPT see below

Can that be an issue?

Problems with external SSD on iMac late 2014

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.