Turned my MAC off and turned it back on today only it won't open my Photo's Library.

It does state.... Updating Library and underneath is says 100% complete but then the Pop Up box states 'The library could not be opened. Photos was unable to open the library "Photos Library". (4301). Why has this suddenly happened and how can I access my photos?

Posted on Aug 31, 2023 6:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2023 8:16 AM

It seems that you are having trouble opening your Photos Library on your Mac. One possible reason why you are seeing the error message "The library could not be opened. Photos was unable to open the library "Photos Library". (4301)" could be due to a corrupted library file. You can try repairing your library by following these steps:

1. Quit Photos.

2. Press Option-Command and double-click the Photos icon in the Applications folder (or click the Photos icon in the Dock).

3. In the Repair Library window, click Repair to rebuild your photo library.

If this does not work, you can try restoring your library from a Time Machine backup. It is important to back up your photo library before repairing it.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2023 8:16 AM in response to NotAGoodSinger

It seems that you are having trouble opening your Photos Library on your Mac. One possible reason why you are seeing the error message "The library could not be opened. Photos was unable to open the library "Photos Library". (4301)" could be due to a corrupted library file. You can try repairing your library by following these steps:

1. Quit Photos.

2. Press Option-Command and double-click the Photos icon in the Applications folder (or click the Photos icon in the Dock).

3. In the Repair Library window, click Repair to rebuild your photo library.

If this does not work, you can try restoring your library from a Time Machine backup. It is important to back up your photo library before repairing it.

Turned my MAC off and turned it back on today only it won't open my Photo's Library.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.