2017 MBP w/TouchBar frequent, random crashes

Random crashes or restarts with MBP w/TouchPad running 10.14.6 - cannot update OS due to some key software vendors not updating their software. Especially frequent when running battery, not also many times when plugged in - so not just a potential battery issue.

I bought an identical MBP so that I could clone this MBP to that one but if the problem is a corrupted file or something software-ish causing the problem (as opposed to a hardware issue), I'd be giving the new MBP the same problem.

How do I determine if this a software problem vs a hardware program before cloning MBP1 to MBP2?

How do I make an exact clone of this MBP? As in, how do "prepare" MBP2 to become cloned?

MacBook

Posted on Aug 31, 2023 9:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2023 5:37 PM

papiamento wrote:

Random crashes or restarts with MBP w/TouchPad running 10.14.6 - cannot update OS due to some key software vendors not updating their software. Especially frequent when running battery, not also many times when plugged in - so not just a potential battery issue.

I bought an identical MBP so that I could clone this MBP to that one but if the problem is a corrupted file or something software-ish causing the problem (as opposed to a hardware issue), I'd be giving the new MBP the same problem.

How do I determine if this a software problem vs a hardware program before cloning MBP1 to MBP2?
How do I make an exact clone of this MBP? As in, how do "prepare" MBP2 to become cloned?

Transfer your information to Mac from another computer or device

Transfer your information to Mac from another computer or device - Apple Support

The most trouble free way to move to a new machine, is using the Setup Assistant on the initial boot of a brand new machine— you have one shot here. Set up your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

The second best way is use the Migration Assistant.

How to move your content to a new Mac Transfer to a new Mac with Migration Assistant - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2023 5:37 PM in response to papiamento

papiamento wrote:

Transfer your information to Mac from another computer or device

Transfer your information to Mac from another computer or device - Apple Support

The most trouble free way to move to a new machine, is using the Setup Assistant on the initial boot of a brand new machine— you have one shot here. Set up your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

The second best way is use the Migration Assistant.

How to move your content to a new Mac Transfer to a new Mac with Migration Assistant - Apple Support

Sep 1, 2023 8:48 AM in response to papiamento

THIS:

com.McAfee.AVKext 1

com.McAfee.SFKext 1

By far the easiest way to cause poor performance, instability, overheating and crashing is to install ANY third-party speeder-uppers, Cleaners, Optimizers, or Virus scanners. or a VPN that you installed yourself.

The idea that a third party, with no special knowledge of the inner workings of MacOS, can somehow find a simple way to protect your computer — that is not already being done by MacOS itself — suggests that the MacOS developers are somehow "holding out on you". That is absurd.

You should remove any and all (other than Apple built-in) virus scanners, speeder uppers, optimizers, cleaners, App deleters or VPN packages you installed yourself, or anything of that ilk.

Third-party file Sync-ers such as DropBox, BackBlaze, OneDrive, or GoogleDrive can ruin performance, but are not inherently dangerous.

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

Aug 31, 2023 7:01 PM in response to papiamento

Kernel Panic Reports are stored at:

/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

If you copy and paste that string into:

Finder > Go menu > Go to Folder

it will take you to the Folder where those reports are stored.

They are named with Date&Time and start or end in ‘panic’

If you find one, please post the entire report here, by using the “additional text” Icon in the reply footer (looks like a paper with writing).

Please don’t post more about 20 lines of any other types of reports — they are interminable, and any information useful for this purpose is on the first screenful.

2017 MBP w/TouchBar frequent, random crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.